Thread: Reproducing DD3 maps in GIMP or Photoshop

Default Reproducing DD3 maps in GIMP or Photoshop

Below I've attached 3 simple battlemaps I made using DD3, 2 of my own design, the third from following the joesweeney88's youtube tutorial on dungeon mapping. I used artwork from the CSUAC and MapTools artwork repository in addition to what came with DD3. I no longer wish to use DD3 due to it's instability, but I want to be able to reproduce those maps in either GIMP or Photoshop CS5, right down to the tiling, beveled walls, and wall shadows. How labor intensive would making those maps be in either GIMP or Photoshop CS5 as compared to DD3 assuming I was equally proficient in all 3 programs? Are there any add-ons I'd need to do this? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example Map 1 .jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	41256 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example Map 2 .jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	41257 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example Map 3 (JoeSweeney88).JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	557.4 KB 
ID:	41255
    Last edited by Barlie; 01-16-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Well... the object placing would the fairly simple and quick. Adding shadows would likely take a bit more time/work but not a lot. If install Python before GIMP and get the layereffects plugin, then using that would speed up some of this also (it automates what you can do manually). I could probably make the first map in about 15-20 minutes maybe (unless I am missing some detail in my quick overview of the map)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well, I'm no expert or anything, but I don't think it would be too difficult to do. Supreme lazy method would just be to make an image of each icon dd3 can place then copy and paste them or use the clone tool to place them in a new map. I'm sure there are better ways, but if you want the exact look that would do it. Wall shadows you could just create a drop shadow with the effects or use a soft round brush with low flow to go around the edges of the walls with. The tiles and grass you could make into patterns pretty easily and just use a pattern overlay. Pretty much with the three pics you posted it would be easy for me to make a new map with any of those elements in it and I'm not even that good.
    Last edited by Thesslian; 01-19-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks for the response. I didn't want to bother delving into photoshop without knowing the workload would be reasonable. It turns out that the effects I was mainly concerned about (wall bevel/shadow) are actually native to CS5 along with a number of other layer effects that I've used in other DD3 dungeon maps. Now I just need to figure out how to work textures and patterns and I'm good to go. Thanks again.