Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed World (WIP)

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by occam99 View Post
    This is great. I really dig the "smudged pencil" look.

Should Tirley Lake have an exit point?
    Thanks,

Tirley Lake is fed by Tirley Falls (my first attempt at drawing a waterfall xD) to the east which in turn is fed by the currently untitled lake (little tirley?) north of it. This small lake is fed by creeks and rivers (to be drawn in) from the unnamed mountains to the east. Tirley Lake is self-contained and drains off underground, feeding nutrient rich water into the bedrock of Farmcote Fields in the north-west, Aston Greensward to the west and Sheepwash Meadows in the south.

Guild Novice

The Sample looks a bit different from what I see in Photoshop .. it seems darker as a PNG, lighter while in Photoshop .. Anyone know how to keep the colouring identical?

Guild Novice

Right, progress update .. This is what I have thus far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Theleric - Large.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	41810

Note on the mountains: As you get further away from the coast and closer to the edges, the mountains grow in size - the aim here was to bring about the idea that the mountains around this area are substantially larger (think Himalayas).

This map looks very very nice! Totally looking forward to its development.
    My only critic: The details are very hard to see because it is so tiny (even zoomed in), which is a shame, imho.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

From a page layout perspective, I understand why the region labels appear as they do, but from a logical perspective they are a bit odd. Take the Eastcott-Windrush Road (for example), Farms along the North side of the road belong to (and pay taxes to) Farmcote Fields, while farms along the South side of the road belong to (and pay taxes to) Aston Greensward.

In my opinion, it would make more sense for both sides of the road to belong to the same 'district' (say Aston Greensward) with Farmcote Fields being defined as the area served by the Ferring-Windrush Road.

Graphically, the map is just beautiful.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    From a page layout perspective, I understand why the region labels appear as they do, but from a logical perspective they are a bit odd. Take the Eastcott-Windrush Road (for example), Farms along the North side of the road belong to (and pay taxes to) Farmcote Fields, while farms along the South side of the road belong to (and pay taxes to) Aston Greensward.

In my opinion, it would make more sense for both sides of the road to belong to the same 'district' (say Aston Greensward) with Farmcote Fields being defined as the area served by the Ferring-Windrush Road.

Graphically, the map is just beautiful.
    Thank you for the compliment

With regards to Eastcott-Windrush, Windrush is what is called a "Principal Capital" and all taxes are paid to the Principalities treasury a percentage of which is then paid to the Kingdom Treasury every three months.

Eastcott is a town (marked because it is large enough to warrant notice) under the Principalities control of Windrush. Every 2 months, a "paymaster" (along with guards ) travels to neighbouring farmsteads and collects a percentage of that farmsteads bi-monthly earnings. The paymaster then takes the money to the closest collection town/city, in your example, either Windrush or Eastcott (whichever is closer) which is then transferred to the Principalities treasury and finally to the Kingdom Treasury at the kingdoms capital (as yet unmarked).

I haven't yet drawn up the provincial borders; but when I have and uploaded it it should make more sense if my description hasn't already.

Thank you, if you hadn't mentioned that, I wouldn't have thought up how tithing works here (I made it up as I wrote it so it might need some grooming, lol).

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    This map looks very very nice! Totally looking forward to its development.
    My only critic: The details are very hard to see because it is so tiny (even zoomed in), which is a shame, imho.
    Thanks

Which bits in particular are tiny, can you give an example? I don't see what you mean, sorry

I rechecked the map in zoom-in modus and i retract my statement ^^ I can read everything. It would not hurt if you enlarge the tiniest font you use, but i guess it's just a matter of taste (and maybe of eyesight ).
    Hope to see an update of the map soon, with more details and more of the inland mapped out.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Novice

I rechecked the map in zoom-in modus and i retract my statement ^^ I can read everything. It would not hurt if you enlarge the tiniest font you use, but i guess it's just a matter of taste (and maybe of eyesight ).
    \o/
    I'll have a look at the font, the reason it's small so as not to draw attention away from points of interest (like cities, the High Tower, etc); I feel the environment and land itself is less important than the location of human habitations and places of interest - especially when one is using the map as a reference so as not to make mistakes with distances and locations during his story telling

Hope to see an update of the map soon, with more details and more of the inland mapped out.
    Should be coming soon(ish), my computer did a swan dive for some reason I can't fathom and I had to format and reinstall, luckily I didn't lose anything

Blog Entries

Really liking this map, Sabbz. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast