Thread: Best castle mappy software-ish... uh, thing.

Default Best castle mappy software-ish... uh, thing.

So I am working on a castle map and instead of drawing it by hand, Id like to try and make it in a software package. I'd like to ask the people on this site what kind of software they like to use.

The easier it is the better, once upon a time I used to have Castle Cartographer and to this day I have YET to figure out how it works. Sad but true.

I was thinking dungeonographer but I am not sure if it will make castles (and the lands around them). Any advice? insight?

Hmm, I think I would look around this site and when you see images you like, look at the artist information to see what software they are using. That might help?

It also depends a lot on what you want in your final image. If you like to basically "stamp" down beds, lamps and so on or if you prefer to draw them all yourself. That can have a lot to do with what you need software wise.

Since you mention dungeonographer you might check out their gallery and see what others have done.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Okay I found this, which I really like but there is no artist info (unless I am looking in the wrong spot).

http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=30521

I am just looking for something simple to start, so something where I 'stamp down beds'would be awesome. Unfortunately I didn't see anything in Dungeonographer.

I'll keep hunting!

If you click on the user's name you will find some tabs, one of which is "About me" and there is a location for them to put in the software they work with. In the case of this artist:
    Campaign Cartographer 3 (and its suite), The Gimp, Terraficta and Photoshop
    Bogie does quite a few maps that look along these lines so you might check out his work as well. Bonus is he is quite active on the boards and might be able to share some of the details. He's not the only one who creates things along these lines but he's the one who came to mind at this moment. FYI, he uses DundJinni & Photoshop.

I'm pretty sure they use Photoshop for touch up work and creating the background then use the clipart from DundJinni to place the beds and stuff but at least you have a place to start.

Hope that helps.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thank you so very much. Never knew that information was there under user tabs for one.

For two, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

/tips hat

Blog Entries

http://www.dungeonmapping.com/df/pub....php?name=News

DungeonForge, it's free although you have to register on the site, it can use .png symbols like Dundjinni, not as advanced but free is always nice. and there are lots of sites with tiles and such you can use in it.