Thread: "Mapmaking for the Non-Artist" tutorials

Guild Member Facebook Connected Nighthawk's Avatar

Tutorial "Mapmaking for the Non-Artist" tutorials

I'm new to these forums, so I don't know if this is the proper place or manner to post this, but thought I'd share and see if anyone around here has feedback.

I'm somewhat of a less-than traditional "artist" in that I'm unable to draw a decent circle at gunpoint, but I have managed to surprise even myself in terms of the maps I create using Adobe Fireworks CS5 and clip art from ProFantasy Campaign Cartographer 3.

A sample of my work is visible in my album HERE.

As a result of my experiences, a while back I decided to start writing tutorials on how to create simplistic underground maps for anyone who isn't a top level artist, doing nothing more than manipulating clip art, drawing some rectangles and adding effects readily available in Fireworks.

The two turorials I have written up, titled "Mapmaking for the Non-Artist", are available HERE on my blog.

Part One is the introduction and describes general set up, choice of resolution, organizing the layers, etc...

Part Two actually starts drawing stuff.

One of these days, I'll get around to writing Part Three... which will include adding furniture, monsters and doing some other effects like adding stairs and lighting.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks like some nice tutorials, it would be cool if you'd put them in a pdf when you're done and upload them to our tutorial section as well
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise