Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatically generated maps.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

These maps look great - i like the idea of a 2-step algorithm to determine city locations. Very cool. I subscribed to the blog and hopeto comment if i find the time!

Looks like a very interesting project. The results seem very promising. Keep at it!

A fascinating undertaking you've got there!

hey cool... i'm looking for an autmatic world generation component to integrate in my RPG-Master-Online-Tool i'm working on...

Guild Novice

Hi,

Not to awaken an old thread for the sake of doing so, but I just wanted to let anyone interested to know that after a rather long pause in the project, it's back on track again, and moving forward! The maps keep getting better and better, and hopefully I'll be able to release something to the public "soon". I've spent much time cleaning up code lately, as the project has grown in size and complexity, but I finally feel in control again

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Is this like what one would get by using a product like Fractal Terrains?

Guild Novice

I haven't really used Fractal Terrains, but as far as I understand it, fractal terrains produces landscapes based on fractals, and stops there? I see that fractal terrains can produce equirectangular projections though, which is cool (so you can easily wrap them around 3D spheres). My software does not do that. I produce "flat" maps, but in addition to producing landscapes, I also include rivers, textures (forests, deserts, etc), and cities. I'm also in the process of implementing more political functionality. The map software can distinguish between the different continents, islands, oceans etc, - allowing me to give them their own names, and perhaps a color hue. Fractal terrains seems pretty cool, but I hope to go some way beyond.

Nice blog thanks for sharing!!!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected sirsig's Avatar

Wow great looking maps.

Curious what the lines in the water are though? They mainly appear just off the coast. Are they continental shelf lines or such or just a byproduct of the code?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast