Thread: January/February 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Tribal Compass

Default January/February 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Tribal Compass

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compass_tribal_ok.png 
Views:	897 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	41441

After a quick sketch, I wanted to try something which isn't in my usual style : a tribal-drawn compass.
    Entirely made in vectors. Because every tattoist know that vector is the new way to do tribal.

East and West are showing rising sun/moon, instead of just being labelled.

The .png version for those who are interested in:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compass_tribal.png 
Views:	1379 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	41442  
    Last edited by Elzevir; 01-21-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: i broke something in my last edit

Thanks for the .png version Elzevir. I know that some screaming orc tribe of mine will now be flying that on a banner! As for tats, I've always felt that I was born with enough holes, and all the scars I've accumulated were more than enough decoration one old body. But as a friend of mine said "choose your flag".
    Last edited by maxsdaddy; 01-19-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: quick fix on original poster's name

Very cool Eszevir, has a very authentic hand drawn look to it.

Thanks ! Yeah, i didn't realized it was so orc-like, even if i played MMORPGs recently (understand: one-two years ago)...
    Last edited by Elzevir; 01-21-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Moved .png version in first post.

You still didn't Add ### LATEST WIP ### in the thread with it added as an attachment thumbnail.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Fixed! I attached it in the very first post. Hope it is ok...

Very nice, I really like how it doesn't look like all the usual fancy compasses you see. Great job.

Blog Entries

Interesting, but there's a problem, you can't really line up a straight edge with it, which is the point of having a compass on a map. Without that ability, you might as well just have a north arrow to indicate general orientation. Also, both the sun and the moon rise in the east, the entire sky "rises" in the east and moves west.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I like it too

The tribal feel to it speaks of a people who think more outside the box than in a linear fashion. Hai-Etlik, I have to disagree about a map having to be a linear representation running parallel to a compass point. This rose is one that I could easily see on some tribal spiritual guide map of the higher consciousness kept by the tribal shaman.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I like it too

The tribal feel to it speaks of a people who think more outside the box than in a linear fashion. Hai-Etlik, I have to disagree about a map having to be a linear representation running parallel to a compass point. This rose is one that I could easily see on some tribal spiritual guide map of the higher consciousness kept by the tribal shaman.
    In that case they wouldn't use a compass rose at all. A rose exists to indicate that bearings are preserved, and to indicate what those preserved bearings are.. A map that does not do this, would not, and should not have a rose on it. It's like putting a scale bar on a map that is not to scale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast