Thread: Emulating CC3 symbol collections in Photoshop

Question Emulating CC3 symbol collections in Photoshop

In CC3, symbol collections group a number of closely related symbols together, and as you place symbols on your map, CC3 randomly chooses from the symbols in the collection. So say you want to place mountains on a map, and you choose "small mountains". "Small Mountains" is a collection of mountain symbols, and when you place a "small mountain" on your drawing, the symbol you place is randomly selected from the collection. Is there a way to replicate this function in photoshop?
    Last edited by Barlie; 01-22-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Yes, I'm using Photoshop CS5. Hopefully there's a way to do it in photoshop because I just finished spending the time to learn it. If not, maybe I can just finish doing what I can in photoshop and then add symbols using GIMP, while learning GIMP over time so I can eventually convert.

Unfortunately, Adobe has resisted all requests from the community to add this function to Photoshop. Other image editors have been able to do it for years, but Photoshop still can't.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Well that's a little disappointing, but no problem. I'll go with the plan I mentioned earlier and implement RobA's suggestion. Thanks for the responses gentlemen.