Thread: How do... the Thumbnail Scraper works ?

Default How do... the Thumbnail Scraper works ?

This is an interested question as I am posting in this monthly challenge, but for sure it will be somewhat useful for others users...

How do the thumbnail scraper choose the images that will show up in the Current Lite Challenge Thumbnails ?

In my #latest WIP#, i posted two images, one being the actual entry, the second being the transparent version for members' usage. Both are .png-24 and despite multiple edits, it is always the transparent version that show up in thumbnails (while i expected the other one).

Is it something we can fix ourselves in some way while editing (ie. something tricky, like managing attachments in a certain order), or does it need the spontaneous apparition of a moderator ?

Thanks in advance for your answers !

Instead of letting the attachments appear at the bottom of the post as normal, use the "Insert Inline" button. You will get something like <ATTACH>41247</ATTACH> (but with square brackets). Then place the ### Latest WIP ### tag above the one you want to show in the scraper. To be sure you know which is which, you can check only one of the images and insert that, then check the other and insert it. That way, you can be sure they've shown up in the order that you intend.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

In fact, this is exactly what i did the first time...:

### LATEST WIP ###
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]image i want to appear[/ATTACH]
    blah blah
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]image i do not want[/ATTACH]
    The thumbnail scraper updates itself after each edit. If i add a second image in my post (after an edit or a single preview), this image becomes the new thumbnail, even it is at the end of my post, far from the Latest Wip tag.

Incidentally, this doesn't work either when i upload images in reverse order.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Best thing i found is to only upload a single image in the post where your latest WIP is.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Edit : I found it !

It is alphabetic, my dear Watson !

The scraper choose the image being the thumbnail by its name... So simple i didn't even thought of that before today... I guess i wouldn't have the same problem ten years ago, when all of us figured that everything in computers had to be classified by alphabetic order...
    Last edited by Elzevir; 01-21-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: why haven't we thought of it in the first place ?