Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mak'h'rag WIP

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected razcor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anstett View Post

My only addition would be the river to the south. As it flows into the bay there should be some sort of delta. Perhaps if it is faster flowing river than the more northern one it could be more arrow shaped than delta shaped?

BOB
    As always, thanks for the comment! The river to the south, in my opinion, should be the slowest, coming from a lake and along a very, very gentle gradient. So I plugged in the new version a delta that goes to create a semi swampy, not to large, delta.
    Last edited by razcor; 01-30-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    You have, it appears, a river violation of a most basic sort. However, it could be done artificially as a canal, but rivers don't split, except quite briefly and not without rejoining.

For coastal deltas, remember that they require a rather flat terrain and are built by the river dumping earth into the sea, so the coastline will generally bulge out into the sea where the delta is.

Attachment 41556
    Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. No, that river is not a channel so I removed and replaced it with a fork which immediately rejoins the main river.

As for deltas, I proceeded to flatten the area, then used a new layer with a muddy/swampy color and bulged out into the sea part of the coast as you suggested.

First of all, thanks to all who have commented until now.

New version's changelog :
    - removed the central-south river and replaced with a fork;
    - added a delta on the river in the south of the map;
    - upgraded the central river's delta;
    - some minor changes to textures.

I really like to know any opinion/feedback/critique on this first attempt; is very important for me to understand and correct any errors or imperfections (increasing my skills), so if you want, write what comes to mind.

Thanks all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diciannovesima_bozza.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	41610

I'm brand new here, and only joined due to the same tutorial that inspired your work here. I already commentd on your map there, but let me just repeat my compliments. I hope to have something half this good when I finish mine.

How did you create the deltas, and achieve the ocean texture you have?

It looks nice! I like it. The muted water colours, the cold green of the woods ... very cool.

Very nice start! Congratulations!

I have only one personal opinion to point out (as it's not an error). If the reliefs in the northwestern part of the map are mountains, and not hills, perhaps you should try to sharp the peaks a bit. I point this out just because I'm under the feeling that you are referencing to Tear's tutorial, and I think that technique works best for large, zoomed out views. For more detailed regions, I think Pasis' mountains work best.
    But then again, it's hard to say, since the map has no scaling reference yet. Those could also be hills and the noise in the grass just general terrain randomness.

Still, if you want to give it a try, give a look to Pasis' tutorial. It makes you work with 3 layers of mountains, and the results are great. I used that technique for my first satellite-view map and was very happy with the result.

Love the colors, and the terrain variation looks very convincing. Good job!
    Given the choice:
    wheter to rule a corrupt and failing empire
    or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny...
    what was a King to do?
    But does anyone truly have a choice?
    One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate.
    And thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12