Thread: the Reaches

Guild Novice

Default the Reaches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRv1.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	44673

Background: What you see before you is one of the four known regions of a fictional kingdom used for pen and paper purposes. To the south, the rest of the kingdom. To the northwest, hostile uncharted territory ripe for exploration. Each sub-region of the NR has its own unique features, perfect for any would-be adventurers.
    Process: The Northern Reaches is created in my own style, one that uses Adobe Illustrator + Photoshop. The trees are all vector, painstakingly placed on the map by hand. Textures and color is painted and placed with Photoshop. The ocean was done in a style I picked up on from here, off a tutorial I downloaded. I lost the PDF but had the process saved on a separate file so I can not give credit where credit is due. I have not kept track on the hours it took but a guess would place it at 50+.

Feedback is appreciated!
    Please link back to me if used

I think it is quite a nice map Cyruss . The colors are nice, I like the sea texture, and compass looks nice. What are the shadows to the West and South meant to indicate?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice map. I am really fond of this type of forest, the number of variations are quite impressive. Must have taken alot of work.

I would have placed the different type of tree's a bit more unevenly, have one forest consist of a majority of one type of tree, other forests with another. That would make the forests more distinct and seperated them from each other.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Further echoing of positive response! I love the colours and the layout of this map, given the way it sits as a page.

The only feedback I'd offer would be directed towards your lettering, as there are a couple of instances where labels are overlapping each other. It's tough to avoid, but I think - for example - it'd be worth your while shuffling the "King's Highway" and "Marshall Road" labels along, or putting a more space between individual words, so that they don't cross the "Coedin Green" label. I only do it myself every now and then because I spotted the technique on London A-Z maps.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

I have mixed feelings about this map. Overall i really like the style, the colors, the shape. And the fact that some parts are made using Illustrator. For me, the variety of trees are just too much. Simply put i think there's no way those different kind of trees would grow so random. And there are some minor flaws i noticed.
    Overall it's really nice work.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I really like this map. My only complaint is that the heavy-texture of the sea seems to clash with the illustration-style elements on the land.