Thread: Twilight: 2000 - Poland campaign map...

Default Twilight: 2000 - Poland campaign map...

Hi all,
    Long time, no see. Been working on some maps for upcoming BlackStar Studios adventures so haven't been around much. In the meantime, here's a simple map for an upcoming Twilight: 2000 game. It's mainly from Google Maps with some sprucing up, so I'm not claiming the work as my own...just posting it here in case anybody else can make use of it for their own campaigns. I just couldn't find any good maps that met my needs so I created this one.
    M

BTW, for those interested, I'm using the revised T2K timeline. Been doing some research on non-military events of interest to help ground the players in the world and give them some perspective. The bombs fell Thanksgiving weekend 1997 (I'll say late on the evening of Saturday the 29th). There was concern leading up to that but it mostly got blown off due to many scares with no results. The actual bombing was more or less a surprise.

Following that some things that happened in our world would have never taken place, or would have happened quite differently. Here are a few examples:

Gaming: Quake was released in 1996. The N64 went on sale in the US in September, and was a big seller that Black Friday before the bombs fell. The last big game to be released in the US was Duke Nukem 3D (how ironic). Blizzard's StarCraft (1998 ) was never released...it sold 9.5 million units in our world.

Movies: The Fifth Element launched on May 9th, 1997 to a $17m opening weekend. Men in Black hit on July 2nd to a $51m opening weekend. James Cameron's Titanic was scheduled to open on December 19th...and it did, mainly in hopes of lifting low spirits. Much of the film's distribution had already taken place by the time the bombs fell but, apart from theaters in mid-sized cities (where there was less confusion), overall attendance was light. It only brought in an estimated $6m...most of which never made it back to the studio which created the film (since it died in the firestorms sweeping LA in early December). In our world, the film opened to $28.6m and ended up bringing in $600m in worldwide receipts. Saving Private Ryan, Armageddon, There's Something About Mary, Star Trek: Insurrection and a host of others scheduled for 1998 release never made it out.

Sports: The Summer Olympic Games took place between June and August of 1996. The Winter games in Nagano, Japan opened but with a severely reduced attendance and only about half of the athletes. Super Bowl XXXI did not take place at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans. In our world it was to have been the Packers vs. the Patriots, but the play-offs never got that far in the T2K world.)

Television: South Park debuted on Comedy Central on August 13th and Fox News Channel celebrated its one-year anniversary in October. The series Charmed, Sex and the City, and many others never aired. The final episode of Seinfeld never aired.

Consumer Tech: The Intel Pentium II was introduced on May 7th, though Intel's Celeron processor never made it to store shelves. The first DVDs went on limited sale in the US in March with wider distribution later in the year. There were 55m cell phone subscribers in the US. Motorola's StarTAC, released in 1996, was the ultimate in designer phones in 1997. Radio Shack began selling Sprint PCS phones and might have made the technology a household item had not the bombs fallen. In our world, camera phones were first introduced in 2001. Cell phone subscribers in the US had reached 109m by 2000.

Other: Dolly, a sheep, was the first successfully cloned mammal on February 22nd, 1997. Timothy McVeigh was convicted and sentenced in the Oklahoma City bombing in June. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone released in the UK on June 30th. Mars Pathfinder landed on Mars on July 4th. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was never released in the US and never became a bestseller, though it was still popular in the UK and some parts of Europe. Further volumes were never released, though J.K. Rowling may have written some. The Dow Jones Industrial Average did not break 9,000 in April of 2008...in fact, trading had been suspended indefinitely by December of the previous year. The last recorded close was 1,534.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campaign-Map.jpg 
Views:	1848 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	41446  

nice. and its a great way for putting together a map for a modern campaign, i did basically the same thing for a game i was going to run in and around chiba, japan.
    >>< drow ><<