Thread: Tree help

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Help Tree help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0345.jpg 
Views:	1224 
Size:	598.1 KB 
ID:	42727

This is a small (like a 30 mile diameter area of a 300 square mile area, that makes up 10% of the map that roughly detailed.) spot of the over-world map i am attempting to draw. The only issue is that I'm attempting to do it in a somewhat isometric view, and my trees are an epic fail. Any advice anyone could give me on drawing isometric trees of all kinds. I'll be using Icons for the places of importance but the landscape will feature Mountain areas and valleys, every type of tree, Glacial areas, Plains areas, Deserts, large bodies of water. Since the world is extremely exaggerated there really isn't a need for realism. Therefore any advice would be welcomed, especially constructive criticisms.

Thank you.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

to be honest, I like the trees....or rather the forest

While it is logical that you have individual shapes for the mountains, it is also logical that you wouldn't be drawing individual trees...esp. by hand. You might want to try drawing small individual trees, if you REALLY want hand cramps... but I really like your Forest. If you want to add some extra "iso" to the trees, I would do some ore of what you did to the southern part of the east forest (add some darker green as a shadow) to all of the forest that faces south....either that or add some small vertical black lines as trunks (but no longer than the shadow you have as mentioned above). I would go with the shadow as that definitely creates a sense of canopy....If you are going to be showing the different types of trees, I would suggest for Pine types working with a "less bushy and more pointy" style of forest.

I do have a little crit on the western mountain range though...it looks like more of a wall with very little height difference between the peaks....and it doesn't really match the style of the colored ones already done.

Good job and have some rep for the hand drawn map
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I took your adv ice and I added little lines at the south edges of the trees, it look so much better. Like an actual forest. Now I just need to redraw it all onto a large sheet of ghost board. Thanks for the encouragement and the advice. the non colored mountains, I didin't like them, so i moved onto mountain like icons instead of realistic. Mainly because I can't seem to do the realistic in a way that I think works.

I also think it looks very good and I fully endorse Korash's suggestions. Add a bit more shadowing to the forests and you're good, maybe a few trunks at the bottom edge.

I would just suggest that you try a deep purplish blue for the shadowing, rather than dark green, since it looks more like shadowed leaves that way.

thank you. I will try that out.