Thread: January/February 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Compass Rose in Brass and Blue

Post January/February 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Compass Rose in Brass and Blue

I wasn't planning on entering this challenge as I am not great at drawing things either by hand or digitally. I am more a cut & paste & edit kind of guy.
    But then I found this gold foil texture that looks like brass when I darkened it and a picture of a fancy brass serving tray that had a face that kind of looks like that picture I see on maps of the cloud face blowing the wind across the ocean and I started getting Ideas.
    So I opened up Photoshop with these textures and started cutting and pasting and editing and it came together pretty well. When I took a Grunge texture by struckdumb at Deviant art and changed it to a deep ocean blue the Brass Rose really popped.

I have included the rose by itself as a png with transparency so you can use it on a map and the final version displayed on the blue background.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompassRose-1_bg.png 
Views:	3782 
Size:	316.6 KB 
ID:	41558

### LATEST WIP ###
    Last edited by Bogie; 01-27-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Sorry about the double post, the (latest wip) thingy didn't pickup the one I wanted it to.
    So by just posting the right one here it should show the final one.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompassRose-1a_bg.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	715.2 KB 
ID:	41584

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

i really like this a lot

Thanks alanrex. While I have made lots of mapping items, this is first time I built something like this totally from scratch.

Mmm ... brassy and shiny! Maybe you could put a bit of a drop shadow on the ring, where it goes under the rose?