Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild West Small town church

Default Wild West Small town church

Hey gang --

New to the forums... A novice at Dundjinni, but a pretty decent Photoshop guy for websites, but I am terrible at my maps. I trashed three attempts now, so I am looking to find out if anyone has made a wild west church battlemap (with some surrounding terrain). Are there any commercial maps you might know of?

Thanks!

Matt
    aka catsclaw227

How soon do you need it?
    I can upload one on Monday when I can convert the TIFF files to something the Guild will upload.

Do you want a 5 foot grid?

I don't know if it is a website issue, a file size issue or my ISP having a bad day ... but it just refuses to upload the 1.67 MB GIF file.

E-mail me at atpollard at yahoo dot com if you want the 1.1 MB PDF sent directly to you.
    Last edited by atpollard; 01-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.

It uploaded a small (299 k) PNG version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Church.png 
Views:	1042 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	41679
    Last edited by atpollard; 01-30-2012 at 01:55 PM.

A pretty map indeed! All that fine linework ... *drool*

Credit where credit is due ... the line work is by Dennis L. Lockwood and was drawn in 1982 for the Historic American Building Survey by the National Park Service.

I just clipped and reorganized his "Survey" drawings into a single page usable as a battle map.

[For anyone interested, the building is Power's Church in Angola, Indiana ... built in 1876. The dirt road leads to a small cemetery east of the church.]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00001a.png 
Views:	871 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	41741
    Last edited by atpollard; 01-31-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Since at least 1 person asked, others probably wondered about it, so ... No, I have not violated any copyright laws.

Ordinarily, I would never even have seen a map making request, but this particular request initially appeared in the wrong forum, so I saw it. Unlike most requests, this was for an actual building rather than something from fantasy. I happened to remember seeing measured survey drawings for a small church made by the National Parks Service and available as TIFF files through the Library of Congress. Since it was no real effort to cut and paste tiff files together into a usable battle map, I did so.

The original drawings were created as part of a program called HABS (Historic American Building Survey) and ALL HABS "measured drawings" are in the Public Domain. It says so on the HABS web-site 'fair use' page.
    Last edited by atpollard; 02-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast