Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will be making some generic 4e maps soon!

Default Will be making some generic 4e maps soon!

I've been having an ongoing discussion on the RPGNet forums discussing what is the difference between 3e/Pathfinder and 4e as far as maps go. In my mind maps are generally game system neutral, but the members on that board have been educating me otherwise.

Basically, since many of my maps reflect a realism in style (whether hand-drawn or digitally created), the folks at RPGNet have been trying to tell me, throw realism out the window. The kind of maps 4e players really want have lots of open space for fights that move around, and for bad guy minions to maneuver for more exciting battles. Plus there must be plenty of hazards, places to hide, cliffs and pits to fall off or into. While some of my maps seem appropriate. I will be making an effort to create more that fit this line of thinking. Then I will post them to my Gamer Printshop Ecommerce site for printing and shipping. I plan to create a 4e specific catalog within my online sales site just for these new map designs.

I plan to create generic terrain maps - cliffs, canyons, caverns, etc. Some bizzare landscapes - volcanic lava pools, broken ice fields over water, winter landscape maps, and more exotic arcane scenes as well.

The folks at RPGNet have basically challenged me to do so - so I will. Of course I need to fit doing this while working on three different publication projects: Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting, my monthly project with Johnn Four and Mike Bourke, as well as the map series being developed for use with the new Apple iPad for RPGNet developers.

So though my hands are already full, I need to make time for this project too.

What are your thoughts on making maps more specifically designed for 4e versus any other kind of map?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I've actually been wrestling with the same issue. For the first time, the rules actually encourage players to use the terrain, rather than it just being pretty scenery or x-ed out squares on the battle map. We just had our first session last weekend, and I'm finding myself completely redoing the rest of the dungeon to put more of the stuff you're talking about into it.

I think you'll do very well if you take all that into account in the maps you make available.

Thanks, Gidde!

I guess the main point the RPGNet boards are telling me is avoid creating a realistic medieval village, my real concern should be making map scenes that describe a 100 million dollar action movie set filled with exciting over-the-top terrain features and structural extravaganzas. 4e isn't about realism, its about terrains that make the battles more exciting.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm working on my own first battle-map my self, and since I'm an active 4e player (and loving it) I am taking into account all the wonderful powers and feats the players have. I plan to make a small series myself and has also thought of cliffs and other dangerous places to fight. The first map I'm doing is a citys roofs
    Looking very much forward to seeing your maps - and of course feel free to ask about 4e
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Thanks, Gidde!

I guess the main point the RPGNet boards are telling me is avoid creating a realistic medieval village, my real concern should be making map scenes that describe a 100 million dollar action movie set filled with exciting over-the-top terrain features and structural extravaganzas. 4e isn't about realism, its about terrains that make the battles more exciting.

GP
    Keep in mind that in most gaming forums (WotC, rpgnet, etc) the forum consensus does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the masses. Some groups may prefer over-the-top, 100 million dollar action movie sets. Don't take that to mean that all groups do. Varied terrain can make for more interesting battles but some groups will always prefer realistic settings above all else. Be sure to provide both types so everyone can enjoy your work.

I don't mean to say that "100 million dollar action movie sets" can not be realistic, just ensure to include pitfalls, cliffs... more dramatic settings within the parameters of what a given encounter requires - make room, allow for movement, place hazards and obstructions and include many exits, that's all.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

In your original post you said that the folks at RPGNet were telling you to "throw realism out the window". For completely self-serving reasons, I don't want you to do that. I've been to your site and seen your maps. They are beautiful! Since I like realistic settings and don't want you to change that aspect because I want to use em. : )

Adding lots of varied terrain is always good though.

Ah, but though my styles can mature, I have multiple styles at creating maps, just because I try something new in style or paradigm, doesn't mean I won't do the previous styles anymore. For example the last 8 months or so, I have been concentrating doing hand-drawn maps as publishers seem to prefer them, however as of just this past couple weeks, I've gone back to my first style - photorealistic using vector shapes with photos for textures. So while I haven't done that style much over the past 2 years, I was right back at it last week.

So I want to learn as many styles as possible, so I can make exactly what my publisher/end-user desires in whatever style that may be!

Thanks, OldGuy! Appreciate your recognition of my work, though for the record, I'm pretty old too!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now, I don't know the guys at RPGnet but I'm guesing that "throwing realism out the window" is more of a "provocation" than a real statement - there is no reason for a map to be unrealistic to be used for 4e ... its more about catering to the needs of 4e combat, ie having some elements that makes it more fun to fight. The two lasts fights we had in 4e was in a standard cave complex, and in a town square - so nothing really special there - could just as easily had been used for any other game system.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The vocal people at RPGNet do not represent the majority of gamers. They represent the vocal people at RPGNet.

That said, there's no reason you can't make dynamic and realistic maps. I think you need some "big budget movie" sets for climax sequences, but if everything is that way then eventually it just becomes the new average.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast