Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thiodonn map

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Default Thiodonn map

This is a map for Cad Goleor. It is of a province/Kingdom in the south-east of Glasconai, called Thiodonn. Relatively quick-and-dirty I pretty much like it as it is, so I may leave it alone, but I thought I'd share and see what feedback I get.

I owe the parchment effect to Rob A's tutorial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thiodonn 1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	44332

Only one teeny thing - the trees up in the north-east corner stick out as being a little regular, as they're all the same brush/stamp and are in relatively straight vertical lines. I know part of that is the stylisation, but I think it would be better if they were a little varied, like the mountains. Just my opinion, of course!

I'd agree with Fox Lee, unless of course it was a myriad forest - planted that way.

The trees could use a little variation for sure.

For the rest: a wonderful stylish map, good choice of brushes for the most part and a very nice colour scheme.

There are just two things that you might want to consider changing.
    First, the brushes you used for the castles / settlements do not really fit with the rest of the symbols. You could try changing them to something simpler, two-dimensional, with strong lines.
    Second, change the text. The white colour does not fit in this map at all.

I really like the style and color of this. The orangish-grey-burnt thing you have going on really pops and looks maybe a little sinister even.

I have two pieces of feedback:

* I agree with Freodin that the pure white text looks out of place to me. Maybe distress it a bit, give it some texture, and/or or lower the opacity or something to make it match the vibe of the rest of the map? Or maybe just choose a different color.
    * The "ink" doesn't fade at all as it reaches the tattered edges of the parchment. I feel like it would probably fade from all the wear the edges have received.

Nice work!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by mozltovcoktail View Post
    I really like the style and color of this. The orangish-grey-burnt thing you have going on really pops and looks maybe a little sinister even.
    Well, as Thiodonn is, relatively speaking, the most "evil" of the kingdoms in Glasconai (though I don't like the moral absolutism that implies), sinister is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by mozltovcoktail View Post
    * I agree with Freodin that the pure white text looks out of place to me. Maybe distress it a bit, give it some texture, and/or or lower the opacity or something to make it match the vibe of the rest of the map? Or maybe just choose a different color.
    * The "ink" doesn't fade at all as it reaches the tattered edges of the parchment. I feel like it would probably fade from all the wear the edges have received.
    I might be able to fix some of those text issues just by reordering the layers, but I can darken them some way. I'll play with it. The fading on the edges is probably as simple as a fuzzy-brushed eraser on a low-mid opacity, so I'll experiment with that too.

Regarding the trees: the brush sets I have don't have anything else similar enough to those trees to change it up without being jarring, but I agree that I'd prefer some variety. If anyone can point me to some similar free tree brushes I'd be glad to look into it.

I have nothing to add to the above critiques. Just wanted to say that on the whole I think this is looking rather nice. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

It looks like a real nice ermm...sinister looking map. The darkish red/orange parchment brings out that vibe. I like it. I agree that the text doesn't fit here. Here is a technique for text that I use that may help you. I assume you are using PS. But I think you can do something similar if using GIMP.

1. For each text layer shift+ctrl select the layer. This will create a selection and also add to the current selection.
    2. Once you have selected all the text layers as one selection, create a new layer with a layer mask that is the current text selections.
    3. Since it is a mask you can now color fill the layer with any color you want and only the masked text selection will show.
    4. Now, you can alt+click on the layer mask and the screen will be black and white. You can apply a filer to this mask for a variety of effects.
    5. Then on the mask apply filter>brush>sponge set the parameters as you will.
    6. To the mask apply filter>blur>g. blurr at somewhere between 4-8 px.
    7. To the mask apply Image>adjustments>levels try to make the mask as sharp as possible. Depending on your dpi I make sure that image size is 100% or 120%.

Now you have some neat looking text, and since it is on a color fill layer you can change the color all you want, add any layer blending effects and layer styles you'd like to. Also make sure the original text layers are hidden, but don't erase them in case you want to modify some the text. Of course you would have to make changes to the layer text mask each time. (That's one downside to this technique.) Also you may want to re-order the text so that it is lower than the parchment layer, that way the text looks like it belongs on the parchment.

One other thing that I don't think was mentioned by anyone else yet. Try adding a stroke to the land. Make it the same color as the lines/brushes for the mountains and stuff and with the same blending mode as those layers. I would go at 2 px or so.

Overall good stuff. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by veracusse View Post
    Here is a technique for text that I use that may help you. I assume you are using PS. But I think you can do something similar if using GIMP.

1. For each text layer shift+ctrl select the layer. This will create a selection and also add to the current selection.
    2. Once you have selected all the text layers as one selection, create a new layer with a layer mask that is the current text selections.
    3. Since it is a mask you can now color fill the layer with any color you want and only the masked text selection will show.
    4. Now, you can alt+click on the layer mask and the screen will be black and white. You can apply a filer to this mask for a variety of effects.
    5. Then on the mask apply filter>brush>sponge set the parameters as you will.
    6. To the mask apply filter>blur>g. blurr at somewhere between 4-8 px.
    7. To the mask apply Image>adjustments>levels try to make the mask as sharp as possible. Depending on your dpi I make sure that image size is 100% or 120%.

Now you have some neat looking text, and since it is on a color fill layer you can change the color all you want, add any layer blending effects and layer styles you'd like to. Also make sure the original text layers are hidden, but don't erase them in case you want to modify some the text. Of course you would have to make changes to the layer text mask each time. (That's one downside to this technique.) Also you may want to re-order the text so that it is lower than the parchment layer, that way the text looks like it belongs on the parchment.

One other thing that I don't think was mentioned by anyone else yet. Try adding a stroke to the land. Make it the same color as the lines/brushes for the mountains and stuff and with the same blending mode as those layers. I would go at 2 px or so.

Overall good stuff. Hope this helps.
    I am using GIMP. I tried following your advice anyway, and managed to make it up to the layer mask before I got stuck. I don't have a "filter>brush" tab, nor do I have any kind of sponge brush elsewhere. At least, not that I can find. And anything else I do with that mask so far has just been flailing and just ends up looking messy.

I started the image with the land stroked and I prefer it without.

Here, however, is an updated version of the image, playing with some different brushes for the castles, more variety in the trees, fading the edges, and with some recolored text (also faded somewhat) instead of white.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thiodonn 2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	407.0 KB 
ID:	44352

I'm not that familiar with GIMP filters, so I don't know which ones would translate well to a similar photoshop filter.

I like the font much better on this one, and the castle brush gives it a more medieval look. I assume that is what you are going for. thumbs up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast