Thread: Looking for Map for D&D Custom World

Default Looking for Map for D&D Custom World

I have a hand drawn map I came up with at work one night, and sadly I am no artist.

My world is custom and can be found here: http://scalesofeternity.wikispaces.com/World+Notes

I would like to get a map build based on the notes there, and the very, rough drawing i made on a sheet of paper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img002.png 
Views:	2307 
Size:	971.8 KB 
ID:	41631

I really like this map style here, so something close would be amazing.
    http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/f/20...y_Djekspek.jpg

Failing that, I would be willing to accept something in a Parchment Style.

If anyone is interested, I would love to get this made and put up on our wiki site.

It looks interesting enough, though I don't do that precise style ... if I end up with the time, I might dabble up something for you and we'll see what you think of it and if you want to continue. There's been something I've wanted to try for a while ...

You don't see to have any rivers or seas though ... do people survive on aquifers and such?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    You don't see to have any rivers or seas though ... do people survive on aquifers and such?
    Well, seas wouldn't be much good for drinking water either and there are a couple of things that might be rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Well, seas wouldn't be much good for drinking water either and there are a couple of things that might be rivers.
    Pff ... summon salt elementals out of salt water and what do you get? Workers and fresh water.

I'm guessing the double line at top right is a river, but the other straight lines are roads, I think.

Yeah, there are two rivers on either side of the map, my drawing skills are quite... bad. Both coming out of the Mountains. One essentially ends in the swamplands that are on the left side, although a much smaller version of the river escapes the swamplands at the southern tip, and is used primarily as irrigation. There is a lake, roughly in the middle of the world, feed by natural springs(freshwater lake). There are also, several wells dug throughout the cities. The whole area has large amounts of underwater water, envisioned to be similar to the Florida Aquifer system, if anyone is familiar with that.

Any Chance of getting Something worked out for this request?

One thing I can suggest is that if you have the time but don't think you have the skill, there are a number of tutorials on this site for building maps. You could use GIMP(free) as well as freely available(ie, those licensed for non-commercial use) brushes found here or other places to create your map and we will help with the input of us here via a work in progress thread. Most of your map looks easy enough to do with some help and time spent on your part and you could get something you are proud of(though it won't look like the linked map!). If you REALLY want that style, the artist does do commissions here, but I believe he(Djekspek) will likely require payment, especially for something of this style since it takes FOREVER to do this type of map.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

So this isn't intended to be a full world map? -- it's just a Tolkien-style "our end of one continent" style of thing?

(If you're willing to take something substantially less spectacular than Djekspek's map that you linked, I'd be happy to take a shot at it...sounds like fun. I'd need to know your deadline though, and I'm not committing to do the buildings unless you give me a pretty detailed idea of what they look like.)

ETA: how's this? I wanted to fool around with parchment style.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torr.jpg 
Views:	10703 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	43404
    Last edited by octopod; 03-26-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added map

Question Im intrested >.>

I have been intrested in drawing city layouts and landscapes,just havent put it to practice much.Would need some tips and such,and if anyone knows where i could get a program that makes my map into a playable D&D map it would be awsome.