Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruins Of Undermountain III (BIP Project)

Professional Artist

Post Ruins Of Undermountain III (BIP Project)

Hey everyone,

Here is what I have done so far for Undermountain Level 7. Mind you that I did NOT design the dungeon itself, it was hand drawn by Halaster Blackcloak at the BIP website. All I do is take the hand drawn maps and make it look nice, hehe.

There is still a bunch of work to be done on this level. I am still learning the ins and outs of Adobe Illustrator and have made plenty of mistakes along the way.

One of the biggest things that I think needs changing is the grid color. In the original set, the grid was grey, this grid is black and it tends to make the map look too dark when printed out. Another thing is the border spacing needs to be tweaked. I'd also like to lighten up the "core rooms" (orange in color) as they also print a little too dark but this may be an illusion from the black grid. We'll see.

Please let me know what you think of it so far. Feedback is welcome! Even if it stings....

Last edited by Doirche; 02-15-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fixed the link for the map.

Professional Artist

One other thing.... on another website, a few people complained about the use of the "Forgotten Realms" map legend and said it may be a copyright violation to use it. I have contacted Wizards of the Coast and asked them if they had a problem with the BIP project using the graphic in our maps. I have not heard back from them yet, but when I do and if they say it's an issue, I will take the map down immediately.

Blog Entries

Hi Doirche, This is a great map of course. Could you write a few lines about how and why this map was made. I have caught a few bits of the puzzle in that WotC published some and missed some and now its being expanded - or something like that...

As you can tell I haven't been following the story on this so what does the orange rooms signify ?

Also I believe that WotC would be legally obliged to object to the use of the trademark - that would even be the case when they privately thought that it was a very good map.

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Hi Doirche, This is a great map of course. Could you write a few lines about how and why this map was made. I have caught a few bits of the puzzle in that WotC published some and missed some and now its being expanded - or something like that...

As you can tell I haven't been following the story on this so what does the orange rooms signify ?

Also I believe that WotC would be legally obliged to object to the use of the trademark - that would even be the case when they privately thought that it was a very good map.
    Thank's for the comments Redrobes

The Ruins of Undermountain was a "megadungeon" published by TSR back in 1991. The complex was supposed to have 9 main levels and over 14 sub-levels. The original box set published contained the uppermost three levels of the dungeon. The orange rooms signify "core" rooms, or rooms in which player characters were likely to explore during their travels throughout the dungeon.

TSR then published The Ruins of Undermountain II: The Deep Levels three years after the original set was introduced. This box set was generally disliked by the public as the style of map changed significantly from the original set. In it were four poster sized maps that detailed levels 5, 6 and two sub-levels. (Level 4 was skipped for some reason.)

Several smaller modules were published with the title "Dungeoncrawl" in which they detailed several more sub-levels of Undermountain.

Last year sometime (I think), WotC published "Expedition to Undermountain". This product actually had maps for all 9 levels of the dungeon, but they were horribly done (IMO) and one is even a rip-off of another dungeon from a separate product.

So... the BIP (Back In Print) project was formed to faithfully reproduce all of Undermountains levels with the same style that was done in the original release. The Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels will entail Levels 7 and 8 as well as one sub level. After that is published (sometime this summer we think) work will begin on The Ruins of Undermountain IV: Lair of the Mad Mage and will only entail level 9 of the dungeon.

Once that is completed, we will go back and complete levels 4-6.

I hope that answered your questions.

Professional Artist

Here is a pic of me holding the map, just to give a sense of scale.

Undermountain is not familiar to me, as I left D&D in 1988 & gaming altogether in 1990, but this is a neat project! That pic of you holding the map is also very cool: you should be very proud of your work!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Post Wow!

Very impressive Doirche. I followed the threads on the BIP board a bit, and if I understand it right, level 8 and 9 are going to be double sized? Good Heavens, if level 7 is normal sized, I can't begin to imagine all the stuff you can squeeze in with twice the space--good luck.

(note IANAL) If Wizards does send you a c&d, try redoing it to be more like the Dungeon Under the Mountain. They've pushed out 6 or 8 levels and they have not been sued or enjoined.

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    Very impressive Doirche. I followed the threads on the BIP board a bit, and if I understand it right, level 8 and 9 are going to be double sized? Good Heavens, if level 7 is normal sized, I can't begin to imagine all the stuff you can squeeze in with twice the space--good luck.

(note IANAL) If Wizards does send you a c&d, try redoing it to be more like the Dungeon Under the Mountain. They've pushed out 6 or 8 levels and they have not been sued or enjoined.
    Actually Level 9 is going to be a QUAD size map

WotC did reply to me, but no c&d was issued. Basically it said thanks for your interest in WotC products.... blah blah.... whatever. The way I see it, we're making this for FREE to be used by dungeon masters and players around the world so no harm no foul imo.

I looked at the "Dungeon Under The Mountain" maps published by 0one games a little while back and I was duly impressed with them. So much so in fact I purchased the first level map and promptly emailed the webmaster asking what program was used to make it. He told me Illustrator of course! So hence why I began using Illustrator for my maps.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has commented so far. It's appreciated
    Last edited by Doirche; 03-29-2008 at 11:55 PM.

Really nice map.....and impressievly big. Show me more :-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast