Thread: The Jade Empire: WIP

Default The Jade Empire: WIP

I've done a couple of hand-drawn island maps, and the feedback I've gotten has been super helpful. So I got kinda ambitious, and made a big map for a writing project I'm engaged in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JadeEmpireMap.png 
Views:	1221 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	41658

I couldn't have made this without the tons of resources I found on this site, like Jeremy Elford's tutorials and RPGMapMaker's brushes for the palm trees. I found some mountain brushes on DeviantArt and did the hills and the city icons myself. So thanks to all those people for posting these great resources.

I'm pretty happy with where it's at, except for the jungle. RPGMapMaker's palm trees are lovely, but they don't really say "jungle". I just couldn't figure out something that would. If anyone's got suggestions, love to hear them!

Likewise, if there's anything else that jumps out at you as not really working, please let me know. Thanks so much!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Cool map. Has a really oriental/Asian feeling. Maybe some old paper texture.

Thanks! Does anyone have any suggestions for jungle?

Yup. I do. If you take a look at an aerial photo of a jungle you'll notice it looks like a sea of green, not very many palm trees to be seen. You can go for a similar effect as with a regular forest (a leafy fringe blob, a few detailed trees in between) and add higher tree trunks at the edges to indicate jungle, maybe a few vines and things as well.

But ... it's just a guess

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I also agree with Lukc. But I also think that the lettering is abit brutal with all the opac fonts.

Thanks! I'm experimenting with some forest treatments, so I'll see if I can come up with something.

Schwarzkreuz: I don't know what you mean by "all the opac fonts" -- the two fonts used are Seven Monkey Fury and Raging Red Lotus, from Blambot.com. Are you just saying you don't like those fonts, or is there something else here I'm not getting? I like them, and the admittedly cheeseball feel they supply, but as I'm not familiar with the term "opac fonts", I'd like to know if there's something else here you're saying. Thanks anyway for the feedback!