Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Mythic Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaithion View Post
    After taking a closer look at your map, i realized that there is a much weirder problem going on than miscounting graticules. The equator of the earth and the center graticule on your map are not the same. The equator on the earth goes through Ecuador; your center graticule runs through Panama. The equator also sits below India; the center graticule on your map intersects with India. Your map, instead of going from 85N to 85S, goes from 95N to 75S.

sorry about the confusion.
    That's actually because I intentionally moved the landmasses northwards a bit, not because the equator is in a different position. Remember, this isn't a picture of actual-Earth, it's a picture of intentionally-not-Earth-but-somewhat-similar.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is interesting, I always loved "parallel earths", and right now I am doing something somewhat similar with one of my maps (though mine is much less similar to actual earth than yours). Is there a particular design decision to shift the landmasses northward?

It mainly had to do with expanding Antarctica a bit, so the coastline wouldn't be all stretched out due to the projection; I'm not entirely sure how to go about realistically distorting the map to make it look correct.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Ooh - Atlantis! Nice. Though Atlantis seems to have more oceanic shelf/wiggly-undersea-ness (whatever the wiggly lines mean) than other coastlines, that may be the look you're going for but it seems a little inconsistent.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Langy View Post
    It mainly had to do with expanding Antarctica a bit, so the coastline wouldn't be all stretched out due to the projection; I'm not entirely sure how to go about realistically distorting the map to make it look correct.
    It's a sphere - you'll have to stretch the northern bits of Russia, Europe, and Canada more to make up for it.

Check out the Wikipedia page, it has a good image that visualizes distortions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equirectangular_projection

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

the styling of these is very nice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12