Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP]Glandar Map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected David Corsalini's Avatar

Wip [WIP]Glandar Map

I everyone, i'm new on the writing side of the forum, i've been lurking in the dark for some time. 3 days ago i needed some inspiration for a map (i'm running a pathfinder adventure as a dm with my rugby buddy) and i saw THE map, the Imperial Worldmap of Arden by Schwarzkreuz! I'm totally new at mapping digitally and i've been drawing map just as a quick reference for my players (5 minutes sketch with few clues about what i was doing). But Schwarzkreuz's brushes just amazed me, so i had to try.
    This is just a region of a world that still need to be tought, so maybe in the future i'll change something. It is supposed to be on the north on the world. It is run by king who take the power by defeating the previous king (you know, chronicles of Riddick style). The capital is Gronduk, a city build inside a hole on the biggest mountain of the region (can't find a better word to express that).
    For now on the map there will be just the biggest cities of the region (that's because the map has been drawn in roughly 6 hour and i'm actually freaking out, so no more thinking for tonight).
    My biggest concern are the rivers, i know they are totally messed up (i needed the big one for my story), advices are soooo welcome (i hope i'll be able to modify the map).
    I'll post the map at the actual stage, i hope i don't screw up with the images (can i post a dropbox link to the big one?).
    Comments are welcome, just remember this is my FIRST real map, digital or not.
    I NEED to thank Schwarzkreuz for sharing the brushes, i did all the map using just his 3 sets and the default set on ps. I also used the coastside tutorial on this site.
    I'm italian, that's why i can't speak so good!
    I can't upload pic, here are the db links:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3206226/Mappa%20Glandar.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3206226/Glandar10.jpg

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Hi, how can I help you? For first you should read the tutorials for riverconstruction. There are something wrong with most of your rivers, first and for all rivers dont split, they unite on their way to the sea and I dont think a lake can have a delta exept weird lakes. And I think the Titlefont is a bit to bold for the map.

Ah, and I love your map! Its a great use for the material I realy like it.
    If I can be of any help, ask me.

You are speaking about the two pair of river on the north, right? They where put in that way cause i was thinking about a story for them, but the story didn't come up, i guess they'll be corrected.
    About the delta, are you sure? I'm pretty confident about a small lake (800mx200m) near where i live where a small river arrive on the lake and it split up just before entering the lake. It forms small "islands". I guess that on a larger scale this doesn't happen anymore.

On the titlefont i got a lot of problems. Are you speaking about the "glandar" font or the overall font on the map?
    My biggest doubt is about the cities. I want to make clear the size of these cities and for now i've used a light red patch set on 30% opacity with 1p stroke, but i'm not entirely convinced. Any idea on how i could render them?

It does happen. Lakes also have deltas. You also sometimes get "deltas" where a river just evaporates into the desert. Basically, you can get a delta structure wherever a river deposits more sediment than it removes. E.g. the Okavango river delta.

Ok, thank!
    Onother big help is needed: scale.
    I know that a boat to travel from Adrulia to Zathyra requires a day. The river is perfectly navigable. Now, i don't know a lot about fluvial boats, so i've put a big one (about 50m in length) with 50 undead rowing in the lower deck, no sails. Is there a way to use sailboat on a river? Ok, back to scale: how many kilometers can a boat like this do in 1 day, following the flow of the river?

Is it normal that my post is still under judging by the moderator? I posted it about 1 hour ago.

After you get a set number of posts from your account they know you are a person and not a autobot spam poster. I think it is either 3 or 5 posts? Welcome aboard; much to learn; much to do
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Ok, but my post is now MIA! I'll rewrite it.
    I have a problem with the scale. I know that the travel, by boat, from Adrulia to Zathyra is 1 day long. How many kilometers can a boat do on a river, following the river's flow?
    Slightly off topic: how boat are made to travel on rivers? I now have a 50m long boat with no sails, just 50 undead in the lower deck rowing. Can boat use sails? How much the speed change between going against the current and following it?
    I also know that the voyage from Gronduk to Camertium is a 7 day trip using horses, but that can actually change (i put it that way for storytelling matters).

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

What kind of Brushes do you need for your cities? If I have time I do some to complete my set.

Thanks a lot, but i don't want an illustration like a building or a tower, i want to render their real shape, but i don't if i should use some particular color o style for the borders o maybe a texture (like streets) inside it. (still my post about the distance a fluvial boat can reach in a day doesn't show up)
    Another big question, any suggestion on the bar that show the scale of the map (like the name of this element could be a good start), i'm now trying to calculate it but i don't know how to draw it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast