Thread: Khalian Islands

Map Khalian Islands

This is a large island group that was the setting of a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy game that I ran. The adventure itself was set in and around a dungeon in the vicinity of the town of Zell and the Dragonfire Peaks (a group of three volcanoes). They didn't really explore the islands much, but I made this map anyway to show them where they were. I personally don't like it when I'm playing a game and I have only a vague idea where I am in the world, and I always try to show the players an overview map if I can.

This map was made in CC3, as are most of my maps, and I used the Symbol Set 1. At first, I didn't care much for this style of map, but then one day I started to draw this and for some reason it clicked, and I liked the map. That's when I decided to set the adventure here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	khalian Isles.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	10885  

Hi! I have no experience with CC3, but this is very nice looking map. It kind of screams for adventure. Very good layout with everything indeed. Only thing I would change in this is the typography. The font is quite hard to read in some places, especially names of the mountains. I would also lose the drop shadow from the name of the map. Anyway, these are very minor things, this is a great map.

I like the map. Symbol Set 1....not one of my favorite symbol sets, but you have done a good job with it.

Good Work.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's very well done.

The only that didn't appeal to me was the font you used, but that is more preference than any kind of knock against your work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Map

Here's a sub-region, in the vicinity of the Dragonfire Peaks, done in the Pete Fenlon style from the CC3 annual. I really like this style. It's both evocative and informative, and shows things like ridgelines that most styles don't. The PCs were based in the town of Zell, and adventured in the ruins of Caar Durnak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragonfire Peaks.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	11043  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice and clean, clear too. I like this style much more than the first one as it looks more professional.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The Pete Fenlon style from the CC3 annual is my favorit style in CC3. The map looks really great. I really like the glaciers.

I really like the glaciers.
    Thanks. I've noticed that's one thing missing from most of the styles I've seen. Even the Fenlon style as it comes is lacking these. I ended up just making a couple of new drawing tools. The first draws a white, curvy area outlined in pale blue. The second is just pale blue curvy lines that I use for the crevasses to give the glaciers form. Rather than dealing with drawing order so that the glaciers were behind some mountains and in front of others, I just drew around the foreground mountains. Probably not the best solution, but it worked OK here.

And I agree that the Pete Fenlon map style is amazing. My friend has a good collection of MERP books, and I like looking through the maps in those. One thing I like about CC3 is how it's possible to mimic particular mapping styles, such as this one, or the Wroot style used in the Cyradon map. I'd love to see Harn style maps at some point (for CC3, I have Mappa Harnica for CC2 but that doesn't work with the newer program) as I also like looking at the maps in his Harn books.

I really appreciate the compass rose and scale on your first map of the islands. The feel is very in keeping with the look of the water.