Thread: Hello from Austria

Post Hello from Austria

Hello all!

My name's Peter, I'm a surveyor in Austria and since 2 years playing DnD. I joined the Forums because you have absolutely awesome maps here, I will see if I can do some but I doubt it. As surveyor I'm more in lines and not so good with texture.

I think I will mostly look at the maps and try if I find something to criticize.

Best wishes so far
    Peter

Hia Peter!

Don't cut yourself short - I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler but manage to make a nice map or two

And constructive criticism is always welcome. Most everyone who posts here is willing to take any suggestions that help improve their final product.

-Rob A>

Wip

Exactly, don;t worry about what you think your maps are like. Any criticisms here can only help to make a map better.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

@ RobA: A nice map or two is great understatement. If I ever be able to make a map like you did in this month competition in an affordable amount of time I guess I'm in heaven

@ NeonKnight: That's exactly what I mean. I try to find mistakes or logical errors, no matter how good a map looks like. Only this way the maps can get better.

Oh, and to show my current state of art (and to learn how the attachments work) this is my (till now), first and only attempt of a city map, drawn with Microstation V7:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fanghorn.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	2895  

Hi Zar Peter and welcome to the Guild! I'm sure that your surveyor experience will come in handy with map making! I've never used Microstation and don't know what it is capable of, but you should consider downloading GIMP and Inkscape and running through the tutorials for them in terms of city building (if you want textures and such).

best

Ravs

Hi, Peter, and welcome to the gates of heaven! Your fortified city map is very, very good. I like the layout (although I do wonder why those buildings lining the river have no road access).

I agree you should look into coloring/texture programs to push your maps to the next stage (can Microstation do that?)

Once again, welcome to the Guild!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Already downloaded GIMP and try to find time for the tutorials.

The buildings at the river are supposed to be noble buildings, the purple lines should be the walls surrounding them. Didn't draw doors, though.

And thank you for the welcome, I look forward to participate in this forums.

Zar Peter - Welcome to the Guild. I think that you'll like it here.

And your mapping effort was a really nice first start. I would merely recommend a higer resolution, i.e. same picture spread over more pixels to make all of the lines crisp. Perhaps also change the walls and structures to black or gray. Finally, change the white base color to a green color (perhaps tan or brown) and I think that your map would hold up very well.

Thank you for your comments.
    My first thought was: This is a city I already used in an adventure and will never be used again so I better draw something new and work on this. But after running through the GIMP-tutorial I thought I could try to use this map as start and add the texture with GIMP.
    More in an other thread, I think "Town/City Mapping" would be the correct one
    Last edited by Zar Peter; 03-31-2008 at 03:43 PM.