Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Realms of Lotringen

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Wip [WIP] The Realms of Lotringen

Ok well, I try to get some training so here is just a random started map. It begun as a test for my new Brushset and now I would like to use it to train to color a map. I have been a fan of the Color maps of Ascension and Roba for a while, so here comes my try. I also did though about doing a tutorial on how to handle custom brushes in PS to aquire a consistant Map with those brushes, and other who are alike.

It all started with some quick testing and putting together some chunks of Mountains. Than I decided in expanding them. One of the problems with brushes, instead of small graphics, is that you can just see the linework through the mountains. So if you dont let space, they overlap in a not so nice way. To present such, I put new mountains on another layer and than just erase the parts i dont use. The rest got added depending on the area. I choose different hillforms for different areas. i dont know if anyone see such details except myself. Totally used Brushed where about 120. Variations is important on these maps, so it will not looked cloned (Clone-Tree-Diseases) So I always create acertain Landscape element in 2-5 different sizes with 5-8 Versions each.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lotringen1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	41995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lotringen2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	41996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lotringen3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	41997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lotringen4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	41998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lotringen5.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	41999  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks good.

I don't understand why Adobe is not able to make the brushes multi-coloured (like symbols); then problems like overlapping would vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Looks good.

I don't understand why Adobe is not able to make the brushes multi-coloured (like symbols); then problems like overlapping would vanish.
    Likely because not enough people ask for it. Of course, I am not a graphics artist (and don't use PS anyway), but I except that this use case is fairly small overall in their user base.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    ...PS Workaround stuff....
    In case you did not know, GIMP allows for colored brushes(including white background if you wish), so you don't have to spend your time doing it this way. You could draw the things you need in GIMP using colored brushes and then export a PNG if you want to continue working on it in PS.

Oh... GIMP also has the concept of image hoses for their brushes... it's a brush with multiple layers (ie different hills) that randomly picks on as you perform your stroke of the mouse/pen. This could also speed up your map creation process quite a bit when combined with the above.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I had never worked with Gimp before, perhaps I should give it a try?

one big hurdle many people have (especially windows users) is the 2.6(current version) has multiple windows. 2.8(being developed) will have a single window mode to help those people who just can't work the other way. 2.8 is expected to be released within the next few weeks.

If you decide to try gimp on this project, I would suggest importing your landmass outline, laying down your mountains, hills, trees, etc, turn off the outline layer, and then save as a png to import back into PS(assuming you want to use both back and forth)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

After some recent discussions over there at Spudspotatos Map I decided to get more thoughts into my maps and add a weathermap to my test-map here and look how it influences the areas. I want to see if I can integrate such realistic features into an intuitive mapbuilding process.

The Northeast have some rainy and vegetative areas, from clauds which travels over the flatgrasland to burst out at my small mountain ranges here. Deeper to the south and east there are vast steppes and more dryer graslands with flocks of savanna and small forests of lowgrowing vegetations. The area between the sea and the Lotringen Location are inhabited by mostly hostile clans and tribes of Scith (goblins? frenchmen?) and the Neoprussian Armies of Protektorat Königsgrund. To the West are the Ruines of Carcossa and the Palais Noir. Even more far West are only the Blackfraktalglasdessert and the Nod-Wastelands.

Yep this is suppost to be training but I already created an world to it in my head, well have to see where this leads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lotringen6.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	42106  
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 02-08-2012 at 10:57 PM.

That's how it goes! Imagination is a wonderful thing.

Have you read The Dark Tower Saga by Stephen King? I liked the desolated Wastelands and collapsed Hightculture of the Gunslingers World. It had somethng like a feeling of a decaying Myth, postapokalypse-Wonderland Setting

Interesting to see how your ideias are getting bigger . Looking forward to see where this goes

BTW, I have read only the first book of Dark Tower (Gunslinger), and I'm about to start the second one (not sure about the name in english). It's a pretty good book, and I also liked the desolated Wastelands (at least what I know about them till now).

The world of dark tower is devided in midland(center of culture, gunslinger kingdom/camelot like, now destroyed) outerland (the backlands, farmers, mines, oilfields) isolated cultures & fallen zivilisations. And there is endland, beyond the outer rim, a mythtical hell like location at the ends of all worlds and dimensions. Paradoxically as far as roland travels outside his world to the edge, the more near he comes the centre of all existense. The dark tower. It is like travelling a reverse map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast