Thread: WiP - 1st try at World Building shaping up well

Wip WiP - 1st try at World Building shaping up well

Hello again everyone,

So I have finally tried my hand at world building and mapping. I usually stick to locale and event mapping, leaving the world I play in ethereal so I can insert elements as I need or see fit. I recently was curious about the techniques I've seen on these forums, and I decided to give it a test run to see what I could learn. It's turned out much better than I could have imagined, and I've put many more hours in than I originally intended. I am in the process of discovering my style, however, so it's all worth the time.

This is still a WiP, not totally happy with all the elements, but it is coming together and at a place I can share what I've done. I'd love for input and criticism of anything that looks off or doesn't seem to work.

A couple notes before you pick this apart:
    1. The map border is just a place-holder at this point.
    2. There is a lake that drains into two seas. This is intentional and not natural.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world test.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	41768

EDIT:
    Most Recent Versions:

[Worldmap]

[Political Map of the Republic]
    Last edited by AragonLA; 02-08-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: New Files

This looks very nice. A good first map. The snow and lava stand out too much. Try darkening the lava and fading the snow a bit.

Thanks!

I've been thinking about scrapping the ice caps entirely and starting them from scratch. They were part of the initial push and I haven't gotten back to them yet.

I like this style a lot!!!

One question though, is that lava in the middle of the ocean? What is that? (Okay that's two questions, but they're pretty much the same thing.)

Overall your map looks really cool. I'm a fan of the style.

Oooh, shiney. I like it. Very impressive

I don't think I have anything to add to what has already been mentioned, so good job from my point of view

It looks very nice, a nice cartoony feel to it and all - however, the seas might benefit from matching the land style a bit. Maybe a bit simpler, less textured.

Guild Member

You mean that blue stuff isn't marble? Dammnit!
    "..the next Riddick movie? It's a wild ride, I hear they're calling it Alice in Underverse."

Guild Novice

First let me say that your map is good.
    Maybe your world have different kinds of woods, so why do you don't use different kinds of color or styles to differ the woods from each other?

@Creios
    That's a rift or a dimensional tear. Haven't decided for sure yet, just wanted to leave a little mystery for my PCs when they see the map.

@Lukc
    Thanks, hadn't thought about it but it doesn't seem to match. I think I have something that will give it that cartoony feeling.
    Last edited by AragonLA; 02-03-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Dropping in for an update. Still tweaking a lot of the elements, and trying to get it just right. I changed the sea background to better suit the illustrated feeling of the piece, and have gotten into adding points of interest and terrain titles. Love to hear what you guys think of the direction and if anything still feels out of place.

Full Size

Last edited by AragonLA; 02-08-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: link