Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GIMP vs PhotoShop?

I never noticed any lag while navigating in the OS. It did lag in the 3d sculpting application, but everything does when you're dealing with millions of polygons.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Its all a matter of preference as previously stated. Personally, i dislike the interface on GIMP, don't ask me why, just something about it drives me bonkers.

Guild Novice

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to look at the help you can get: tutorials, blogs, people to ask questions. On the broader internet, there seem to be an awful lot of PS tutorials and fewer Gimp ones, but the Guild has a bunch of really great Gimp tutorials and folks who are amazingly generous at giving people help with Gimp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by junius_gallio View Post
    One of the biggest things Photoshop can do that GIMP can't is CMYK separations: if that's important to you, GIMP is not what you want.
    It is very true that if you want to go to a commercial printers then they will only know adobe products. But if you do want to do CMYK conversions to professional standards then there is a free utility called littlecms which is what I used to do my colour profiles for commercial print many years back. Thats free and extremely good at what its supposed to be for. Written by a chap who's day job is colour profiling and CMYK conversions. I expect that Xara can do the job too.

Oh on the topic of pen tablets. I have one I could post to anyone who wants it in the UK. Its old about A5 and uses serial port not USB and needs a PS2 style keyboard input on PC as well for power. And not guaranteed to work and needs a new AAAA battery for the pen to see if it does work. But it would be free to a good home. We got a wacom bamboo recently with USB port instead.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 02-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123