Thread: Ghaelidri

Guild Member

Wip Ghaelidri

Going to take a crack at a city map. I'm quite uncertain what I want to do here and how the layout is going to be. I've set up the elevations, sea, river and walls/towers. I need to build some pieces like docks, buildings, towers, etc. I'm hoping inspiration sets in. It has on my Kular Map. I find I need a few projects going at once so I don't burn out on any one thing. It also helps me think of ideas as I'm working in another venue.

Here is what I have so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghaelidri.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	41796

Hi Fishivorous (fish are tasty, aren't they?). I spot one problem right away - the highest elevation on the left hill looks like a crater, you should make the rocks at top left lighter, like the ones below them. That would solve the visual issue.

Another thing you might consider is making the terrain less ... flat and patterned. You could probably use another layer and blend in some different textures, it might look good.

Guild Member

Do you mean the base terrain or up on the elevations? I plan on putting in plenty of trees/orchards, some lighter shades of grass/savanna and fields of crops, roads, etc.

I'll see what I can do with the elevation on the bigger hill. I purposefully set the map with four different elevations so that I could go in and change things if need be.

Thanks for the comments.

Although I like fish, Piscivorous is a reflection of me at the poker table.

Edit: Anyone have a good source for a variety of grass shades, dirt shades, roof tiles?

For the terrain patterning I meant the grass - since you're going to be playing around with that, I'll leave you to it (I like to use Google Earth and screen shots for grass and dirt shades, yes, even for roof tiles sometime).

Guild Member

Done some work on the city. Brightened the high elevation on the left. Added some docks [probably will do more and have the major thoroughfares in pluce including the perimeter road. Added a garrison on the elevation to the right, the old river district, as well as the maingate district and the island. Couple of extar towers, a fountain, a mage's tower and the Old River Wall statue. Oh, and dabbling with some treelines.

Here is my latest:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghaelidri2.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	41884