Thread: Current Tile-based software?

Default Current Tile-based software?

Hi all,
    I'm trying to find some good software to make some tile-based maps of dungeons and fantasy-based towns/villages.
    I don't want to create my own tiles, I'm hoping there's enough libraries/content out there and I just place the tiles.
    What's the current state of tile-based mapping software?
    Is it easy to find pre-generated content, ie free maps?
    thanks

There are number of free as well as paid software to stitch together tiles out there. What is your intended purpose?

Home use or commercial?
    computer screen/website or print?

If you are looking to make makes for commercial use, you will likely have to purchase software to get a good wide selection of usable elements. In this case, ProFrantasy has a decent backlog of stuff in their CC3 product line, especially if you include the annuals. Fractal Mapper has some some less than that. Also, you can find some stuff all over the web, but most of it is licensed for non commercial use.

Now, if you are just using for home use, then your options of "concent" go WAY up. Dundjinni's forums, rpgmapshare.com, etc.

Check out the software forum for a sticky. Lot's of stuff in there to look through. Ultimately, you could use a good simple graphics product such as GIMP, PhotoShop, or whatever else as long as it supports some type of snap to grid feature.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

I've got the same problem and haven't found an easy solution. Right now I'm using a mix of Photoshop and Illustrator. I'm making my own tiles too. As far as I've seen there is nothing out there that looks good and is easy to use. If you find something like that let me know too.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    There are number of free as well as paid software to stitch together tiles out there. What is your intended purpose?

Home use or commercial?
    computer screen/website or print?

If you are looking to make makes for commercial use, you will likely have to purchase software to get a good wide selection of usable elements. In this case, ProFrantasy has a decent backlog of stuff in their CC3 product line, especially if you include the annuals. Fractal Mapper has some some less than that. Also, you can find some stuff all over the web, but most of it is licensed for non commercial use.

Now, if you are just using for home use, then your options of "concent" go WAY up. Dundjinni's forums, rpgmapshare.com, etc.

Check out the software forum for a sticky. Lot's of stuff in there to look through. Ultimately, you could use a good simple graphics product such as GIMP, PhotoShop, or whatever else as long as it supports some type of snap to grid feature.
    Hey, thanks for that. I've read the sticky, I just wasn't sure how up to date it was, especially with respect to available content etc.
    It's for commercial use, sadly. I say sadly as I can't forsee any revenue from the project I'm doing (I want to give it away) but plenty of costs ($$$ and time).

Because of the time issue I want something that will let me churn out reasonable maps quickly. To be honest I'd rather favour speed over quality, within reason. That's also why I asked about free content.

CC3 looks nice, but perhaps a bit expensive for a hobbyist like me.

NB: my game design demands square tiles

EDIT: sorry for the delayed reply. I wrote this days ago but it didn't post. Thank goodness for the autosave!