Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** February 2012 Challenge - A New take on Old Games ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default **** February 2012 Challenge - A New take on Old Games ***

This months challenge is to take an existing board game and give it an update and maybe a cool twist as well. Battle Ludo, Orkish Chess, Steam Punk Monopoly, Lizards and Stairs - what ever fun idea you can come up with - just remember to use an existing game as "base".

Don't forget to follow the Mapping Challenge rules.

This challenge will end on the 26th of February. The winner will get a shiny golden compass added to their profile.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

So would it actually have to be a redesign of a board game or a map that looks like said baord game if that makes any sense? So a redesigned checkerboard or a map that looks like a large strange checkersboard, basically a practical board game or an artistically interpreted baord game.

-D-
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 02-03-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Member Facebook Connected Nighthawk's Avatar

A week ago I said I'd try and participate this month... And man, do you make this one difficult.

I have an idea, but I question whether it's within the realm of my abilities.

We'll see...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    So would it actually have to be a redesign of a board game or a map that looks like said baord game if that makes any sense? So a redesigned checkerboard or a map that looks like a large strange checkersboard, basically a practical board game or an artistically interpreted baord game.
    -D-
    eh... yes? ... lol.. you can redesign the board of a game - or even change elements etc. just as long as the new work is based on an existing game (one you could purchase publicly at some point in time - not the one made by cheese and electric wires that takes up your basement )

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    A week ago I said I'd try and participate this month... And man, do you make this one difficult.
    I have an idea, but I question whether it's within the realm of my abilities.
    We'll see...
    well... this is a "challenge" after all ... so give it your best shot - the primary function of the challenges is to push peoples boundries for what they make so they get better
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Time will be the issue, as always, but I know what game I will rework if I choose to participate.

... Dammit. I just had thoughts of how to do 2 or 3 different games now. >_< Curse you Short Month Challenge!! *shakes fist*
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Cool Idea, I think I will make a fantasy version of Mancala: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mancala1.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	41846

Guild Member Facebook Connected Nighthawk's Avatar

I've already started my "Clue" serivative (even made a thread!), so much so that today I got absolutely nothing done at work.

I hope that winning pays well, 'cause I might be out a job if I keep this up...

I think the chess-heads may come out of the wood work for this challenge Time to go digging in the closet for games. mmm ... shiny compass.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Hmmm, I already did this last fall.

http://www.kloogeinc.com/phpBB2/view...php?f=8&t=4855

Does it count as cheating if I used a ship icon from one of the excellent mappers here for my version of the board game?

Will have to think about making adjustments to this for an appropriate entry.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Blog Entries

Sometimes the restrictions are very tight, like when we latch on to another contest (one page dungeon contest for example) but usually the voters are the ones who judge the worthiness of your entry. Lots of folks will vote for whatever they like best regardless of how well it fulfills the requirements. Others will not vote for a piece that ignores the premise. I don't think I've ever seen a host disqualify anyone except when the qualifications were necessary, like the example above.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast