Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Question Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Right. Here are the available sections. They are about 600 miles by 600 miles. Who would like to be the first to pick one and start the great big mapping ball rolling? I have also included a heightmap with the grid over it so that you can get an idea of the layout of your section from a height point of view.

Once a section is taken I will post updated versions of the grid showing the name of the mapper instead of a number. I have my eye on a few, but out of courtesy I thought I should hold back until a few are gone.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	2929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1bump.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	2930  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Sold to the man in the silly hat!!

Do I hear "13" Ladies and Gentlemen?
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Right. Here are the available sections. They are about 600 miles by 600 miles. Who would like to be the first to pick one and start the great big mapping ball rolling? I have also included a heightmap with the grid over it so that you can get an idea of the layout of your section from a height point of view.

Once a section is taken I will post updated versions of the grid showing the name of the mapper instead of a number. I have my eye on a few, but out of courtesy I thought I should hold back until a few are gone.

Torq
    They aren't 'quite' 600x600. Remeber, because of the 'flattening' of a sphere, the north/south distance is the same but the 'top' of the image 1350 miles east west, bottom is 2616 miles east west, so the top's total east/west is almost 50% of the same distance as on the bottom.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I'll take areas 21, 22, and 24

Oh, and I guess 6 as well.

Also, here are some major rivers as shown by FT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World 4-Rivers.png 
Views:	383 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	2933  
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 03-31-2008 at 06:01 PM.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Ok then I had better take either 7 or 11 then or else we will be scattered. If Neon or Ravs want to expand into them then ill go with 18 (unless you want that one... I am easy). Torq you pick for me.

At this point do you guys think it would be better if this project had a top level 'board' with the sector numbers as threads in it ? We cant keep posting all in the same thread.

Oh and I think somebody ought to put a proper fantasy name to the "World of ThinkBig" and the continent of "Somenorthishplace".

Finally, if anyone wants to join me in a sector then please do - I never intended to map a sector alone. I can handle the terrain ok and the midrange regional stuff but theres villages to discover and populate...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-31-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    So many land-locked lakes!
    Yeah I know but its a horribly hard problem to solve. I asked Su-Liam about this on another thread and the MeDem guys and myself have been working on it for ages and it can be mitigated to some extent but its very hard to completely eliminate. My instant islands program would not have done any better but if you build up the land in bits keeping water flow involved it will mostly fix it but its really heavy compute stuff.

For land locked lakes I just raise the land levels for those areas (fudge them in other words ) to eliminate the issue.

Either that or I 'fake out' the coast lines in areas to make them large inland areas. A real world example is the straights of gibraltar and the mediterainean and the Baltic Sea around Germany, Finland, Poland and area. But, yeah it is a problem with ALL Terrain simulations I have seen

I'm confused...aren't all lakes landlocked by definition?

I think Redrobes is right....made into a new thread for greater visibility.

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast