Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

LOL! Yeah, sorry, LAND-LOCKED SEAS! By default most of the large masses of water are shown at Sea Level.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yeah what he said!

Basically the program generates "potholes" at sea level that rivers flow into but not out of.

Compare that to (for example) the great lakes in North America... Lake Superior sits at about 180 m above sea level (surface) and has a maximum depth of about 400 m (~220 m below sea level). This flows into Lake Erie which has a surface at about 175 m but maximum depth of only about 65 m (~ 110 ABOVE sea level ) then a big drop into Lake Ontario at 74 m above sea level, which then winds down the St. Lawrence river until it gets to sea level at the Atlantic Ocean.

To extend this, lakes tend to sit above sea level, To do this in a program requires manually (or at least I haven't found a nice easy way...?) running the water level up to find areas that would "pool" and be contained when rivers run into them.

-Rob A>

ravells.. u sir are clever.

landlocked lakes (i assume) are lakes with no rivers or any other means of water flowing to an ocean...

and yeah, thats why i try to stay away from terrain gens, they're much to random for me... i try to make my own as geographically sound as possible, and let programs like arcview do the rest...

i remember back in the day, i found some kind of work gen software that was amazing (from what i remember, and it was a long time ago, so it might not have been that good)... but from what i remember, it went through a planets birth... where it had its lava stage, cooling, continents were made, continental drift, rivers and lakes forming and so forth.. it even had climates, precipitation and a bunch of other stuff and it was all done in icons not fractal or bump mapping or anything... i played around with the shareware of it, but i was a kid so no money to buy it...
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Post Not all lakes are like the Great Lakes

Sure the Great Lakes have the St. Lawrence River to drain it and many lakes are the sources of rivers, however some lakes or inland seas are where the rivers flow to and only evaporate or fill the lake.

Think of Lake Baikal, Aral Sea, the Caspian Sea, even the Dead Sea. Not all waters flow to the sea.

I'm not countering the arguement that FT like most terrain generators have all water at sea level only is the real problem - just making a point.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I am out for this round of land grabs. I would to focus as much of my time to my 3D planet generation. Hopefully it won't produce those sea level land locked seas and lakes.
    Last edited by DarkOne; 04-01-2008 at 12:31 AM.

I'm kind of tempted by 19 or 25, but I don't know what I'd do with it other than name it the Coriander Coast. Probably 19. I see a Sanctuary Bay and a possible Cordillera Barrera in there.

Here's what the land grab looks like so far:

Ravs: 12
    Neonknight: 6
    Redrobes: 7 (looks a bit more interesting than 11)
    su liam:19 (Love the name "coriander coast")
    Torq: 13 (seems like a good idea for continuity purposes looking forward)

They are absolutely flying off the shelves.

Anyone who wants to get involved please jump in. There are still plenty of areas available.

Ravs, maybe be you could change your sig to give this thread a punt, after all the competition must be almost over now?

I will post a map showing graphically what has been chosen later today. Hopefully there will be some more takers before then.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Post Even though I'm busy...

Even though I'm really busy these days, I think I'll toss my hat for Region 9, I see a Russian/slavic influenced inland naval power, perhaps facing a Tartar or other steppeland cavalry invader force threatening from the east.

Like I said, I'm super busy, so I'll probably get this done in spurts.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Cool GP, 9 is yours. Great to have you on board. As regards time pressure, there is none. do the map in your own time.

Great ideas about the inland sea power too.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

So, I'm a bit confused here, what exactly goes down in this 'Thinking Big' hubub? Do we essentially just map that area and create for it some semblance of civilization?

I'd be interested, depending on exactly what the goal is here, to take 18(with 17 and 23 just to nab the rest of the peninsula and not leave them a-lonely)

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast