Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] Astrophysics

Default [CWBP2] Astrophysics

We talked about it in the Genre and era thread but noting conclusive came out of the thread concerning this topic
    This is the thread to discuss (quote form Wikipedia):

Astrophysics (from Greek astron, ἄστρον "star", and physis, φύσις "nature") is the branch of astronomy that deals with the physics of the universe, including the physical properties of celestial objects, as well as their interactions and behavior. Among the objects studied are galaxies, stars, planets, extrasolar planets, the interstellar medium and the cosmic microwave background.

So… for those that don’t want an earth like planet, this is the place to talk about it.

Star: how many, what size?
    Planet: distance from the sun, tilting angle, size, magnetic field, number and size of moons, speed of rotation, atmospheric composition…
    Other planets: for those that are interested in developing the rest of the star system
    Constellations and everything out of the system: it could be an area for development

You started this without your own suggestions. Personally I like your double star with one being small or distant, you should elaborate on it a little.

Another idea I'm fond with from the other thread is a moon with a twin that is out of phase dimensionally speaking and appears or disappears, or fade in and fades out dependent upon both the strength of the "Main" moon and the "spiritual" condition of the world (ie tied into the "guilt that haunts" mechanic). For instance I think it would be neat for those who have the sight, to be able to foretell omens by the way the second moon is behaving or its interaction with the Main moon. Also I'm still a fan of having some sort of presence on the moon, supernatural or otherworldly in someway (positive in nature, as opposed to demons say).

And for some reason I'm also stuck on the idea of a twin world, but that is more just a passing thought.

Other than that I for sticking with earth like for most variables since it is a lot easier to deal with conceptually.
    Last edited by Falconius; 02-03-2014 at 09:29 AM.

I made this to explain the binary star idea

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binary star copie.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	61000

your idea is not bad, is the second moon magical ?

Yeah pretty much magical I guess. I was thinking more along the lines of it being uniquely extra dimensional in its own little space, which sort of intersect with "ours." Or as if the object was slightly out of phase with our universe (in the sci-fi sense).

Edit: lol I love that our planet is designated cwbp2 in this example! Yeah that looks really cool to me. The only subject I'm not sure about is how it would affect the day/night cycle?
    Last edited by Falconius; 02-03-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Hum, at 75 AU it's nearly 4 times the distance Sun-Uranus and the star is 40% less luminous or so. My guess is that the impact would be really small. My simulator showed less than 1 Celsius degree in temperature difference.

Do you play Dnd ? There is something called the plane of shadow and the etheral plane : SRDlane of Shadow - D&D Wiki
    the moon is in fact located in another plane of existence. Usually, it's not possible to see it but under certain circumstances it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Hum, at 75 AU it's nearly 4 times the distance Sun-Uranus and the star is 40% less luminous or so. My guess is that the impact would be really small. My simulator showed less than 1 Celsius degree in temperature difference.

Do you play Dnd ? There is something called the plane of shadow and the etheral plane : SRDlane of Shadow - D&D Wiki
    the moon is in fact located in another plane of existence. Usually, it's not possible to see it but under certain circumstances it is.

This is the post that confuseded me
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    This is the post that confuseded me
    What is confusing to you there? The star part or the moon part.

In any case I think that unless there are any objections, we should move forward with Azelor's star idea and my extra dimensional magic moon. Meaning we should work under the assumption they are part of the world.

Blog Entries

I meant that it confused me (re: another thread) about the star being the multi-dimensional body, rather than the moon. My brain sort of just squished the ideas together.

I agree, I'm all for both of them I was just mixed up o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    What is confusing to you there? The star part or the moon part.

In any case I think that unless there are any objections, we should move forward with Azelor's star idea and my extra dimensional magic moon. Meaning we should work under the assumption they are part of the world.
    I'm good with that unless someone is against these two ideas.

So the secondary star should be smaller, and more importantly less massive than the main star. At first I was going to put a orange dwarf (K star), but a white dwarf is also interesting. White dwarf are old stars that have ended the main sequence, which mean they have run out of hydrogen to fuse into helium... the star was a mid sized star ( around 0,5 and 10 solar masses). It runs out of fuel at around 1-5 billions years.. At the end of her life, the star had become really huge (not necessarily massive) and really bright. But eventually, the star begin to contract, and as it contract it emits gases and particles like some sort of nebula (which looks really cool). The star is really hot at that moment, as high as 150 000K on the surface but the inside it much hotter. The temperature cools off very fast and it slow down afterwards. The temperature of a white dwarf could be almost stable at around 5000-6000K (or maybe higher) for a very long time and the lifespan of a white dwarf is estimated at something like 10 0000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 years or more... anyway, a long time.

The main star is more recent. It would have formed either before or after the collapse of the old star. No matter how we put it, life would have not been possible on the planet prior to the collapse because the star was too bright. It mean that the collapse happened somewhere between 3-6 billion years ago.

The old star could be associated with : death, evil, shadow, magic or stuff like that since it's an old, dense, with a strong magnetic field, inhospitable place. She could have mystical/magical proprieties. The nebula thing is interesting, especially if the star have special proprieties because these particles would have spread to all surrounding planets. But after 3 billions years, the visual part of it would be long gone.

about the moon idea now: it's a secondary and smaller moon that does not appear all the time because she is in another dimension. A dimension more or less similar to ours that is superimposed. She usually on the other side but from time to time, she become visible. It's not clear if the moon is really there and what triggers that phenomenon. My guess is that the moon is not really there but it's possible to access it by flying right trough to it.
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-12-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Blog Entries

The whole time I was reading I was like.. Nooooooo it would have been too hot until... and then you said it and I was like, oh, okay, and I had to go back and re-read

The star: My concern is what the people of the CWBP2 world would associate with the star, depending on tech levels. How do they know it's old/dense? It'd be bright, right? If the people don't know much about stars, I think they might see the brightness and have fewer unpleasant associations? Maybe? (I did some google-browsing for inspiration and found only one "scary" reference... something about a comet/planet Hercobulus or something, that freaked me out, but it was unrelated...)

Do you mean special properties, as in magical?

(Also how long after the nebula is gone would stop seeing it? doesnt that take millions/billions of years? *confused*)

The Moon: I'm thinking hill spheres, which means I'm thinking she's not really there is the best way to go, because otherwise it would get caught up in one orbit or another, yes?

Maybe a thin rift/veil between the dimensions which you can see through only when conditions (or the planet itself?) is aligned a certain way?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast