Thread: Illustrator and Photoshop working together?

Guild Member

Help Illustrator and Photoshop working together?

Does anyone know, or has figured out, if I can select an object in Adobe Illustrator, then use the Illustrator Eyedropper to reach over into an open image in Photoshop and drop the color there back onto the selected Illustrator object?

Thanks for any assistance, even if it's the bootheel of reality crushing my graphical dreams.
    "..the next Riddick movie? It's a wild ride, I hear they're calling it Alice in Underverse."

Your best bet is to use the eye dropper in PS to get an RGB or CMYK breakdown of the color. Then in Illustrator create the same color.

Guild Novice

Just tried, and the same trick works for Illustrator as it does for Photoshop when snatching a color outside the window. Here's what you do.

1. Arrange your windows so you can see both your Illustrator window and Photoshop window at once
    2. Select the eyedropper tool in Illustrator
    3. Click on the Illustrator window, and WITHOUT RELEASING THE MOUSE BUTTON, move the eyedropper over to the photoshop window and the color you want to grab. See how the Illustrator color keeps changing as you move.
    4. Release the mouse when you're over the color you want.

Yep, that works. My cursor changes from the eyedropper back to standard pointer when I leave ILLustrator making me think it didn't work, but it was. Nice job AlanShutko.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

never thought of that before. awesomeness +1

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Member

Very cool! Thanks. Definately be useful in some spots.
    "..the next Riddick movie? It's a wild ride, I hear they're calling it Alice in Underverse."

Guild Novice

Used this trick many times. Sure beats copying and pasting a swatch.