Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rakateria WIP

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip Rakateria WIP

Again an attempt to make a vector map.
    For the symbols I used brushes, which I created in PS and then vector-traced in Illustrator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rakateria.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	41854  

Nice!

I like your symbols - they have great detail, but they make the rest of the map look "crude" by comparison (the frame, dashed outline, etc.) Also, is there anything you could fill in the whitespace around the globes with? It looks unfinished (which is probably why all antique maps made in this manner put pictures in all those areas...)

-Rob A>

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Nice!

I like your symbols - they have great detail, but they make the rest of the map look "crude" by comparison (the frame, dashed outline, etc.) Also, is there anything you could fill in the whitespace around the globes with? It looks unfinished (which is probably why all antique maps made in this manner put pictures in all those areas...)

-Rob A>
    Thanks, Rob A.
    Yes, it is still unfinished. This is a first idea for decorations. I used free vector elements.

Views:	81 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	41959  

Blog Entries

Beautiful, though the decorations overlapping the map extent kind of bothers me.

It's fairly common to include polar aspect insets in these two hemisphere azimuthal maps, it worked well for me in my Mars map.

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Beautiful, though the decorations overlapping the map extent kind of bothers me.

It's fairly common to include polar aspect insets in these two hemisphere azimuthal maps, it worked well for me in my Mars map.
    Thank you, you're right: I shifted the decorations.
    I don't have enough knowledge of projections to make correct insets (maybe you know a way).

I added a pattern to the background and labels on the map. A version with and one without paper texture.

Views:	55 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	42019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rakateria texture.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	42020  

For me, the water "texture" just messes this up in my brain. It's just hard for me to concentrate on the features because the ocean texture is so dominant. The actual landmass content is very nice though...

If you want to try the polar thing, my suggestion would be the drop the two center (top and bottom) decorations and put the insets there, likely overlapping the actual "map" a bit would probably work best. Personally, I prefer the one with the paper texture as it gives it more character.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    For me, the water "texture" just messes this up in my brain. It's just hard for me to concentrate on the features because the ocean texture is so dominant. The actual landmass content is very nice though...

If you want to try the polar thing, my suggestion would be the drop the two center (top and bottom) decorations and put the insets there, likely overlapping the actual "map" a bit would probably work best. Personally, I prefer the one with the paper texture as it gives it more character.
    I'll work on the water.

the problem is, from the mathematical point of view, how to get from the two hemispheres the correct polar regions (actually I think only the northern part would be important).

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I'll work on the water.

the problem is, from the mathematical point of view, how to get from the two hemispheres the correct polar regions (actually I think only the northern part would be important).
    Heh.. well.. thats one of the things where you will just have to claim "artistic license"...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Thank you, you're right: I shifted the decorations.
    I don't have enough knowledge of projections to make correct insets (maybe you know a way).
    Well, you can fake it by taking the tops and bottoms of the hemispheres, rotating them 90 degrees, and then joining, stretching, etc to make it fit. You'll also have to scale down somewhat.

I can't think of a quick way to do it correctly though. There are some quick and dirty programs for starting with equidistant cylindrical and converting to other projections but not for starting with an azimuthal projection, whichever one you are using (I'd guess Stereographic). I should really try playing around with GDAL more as there's probably a way to do it fairly easily using that.

Very nice!

I know you said you were going to work on the water, though I was wondering if maybe just using a lighter tone of gray or diminishing the line intensity would be sufficient to let the land features pop out more.

Something like this (done stupid fast using my crappy software tools at work)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rakateria sub-section lightening comparison.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	42035

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast