Thread: Unnamed City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Unnamed City

I am designing this city as pretty much the entire world for a thieving sandbox for DnD 4e. It is set to be a rather large city built around a very active port. The city is basically split in two halves by a river, both halves of town will be quite different in terms of game-play (the lower half will have a very structured guild, while the top half will be controlled by a very loose guild.)

I plan on having a basic map with just sections (similar to the second attached picture) and also a map that shows every single building. To keep with the theme of the game I am going to try for a hand drawn style and pretty much draw the whole thing with my tablet in GIMP.

Any C&C is greatly appreciated. Whether you love it or hate it, tell me why. The goal isn't to protect my feelings and boost my ego, the goal is to make something great.

Here is my preliminary sketch:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scanned Document-1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	41855

And here is the beginnings of me laying out the different sectors and main roads of the city:

Name:	Scanned Document.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	41856

Off to a good start.

One general thought, since the city is setting independent (all of the Details are created by you), why not just select s real city and change the buildings?

@atpollard: I took your advice and looked around for a city that fit the general idea I had in my head for the campaign I wanted to run, but couldn't find any. I needed a coastal city on a natural harbor that had a more natural city plan (not gridded) and was naturally split into two halves. Kinda picky but all necessary for the feel and story I have for this city.

Finished putting down the base on paper. I have it laid out with just basic 'sectors' of buildings and main/secondary roads. Next step is to get the line art down. I'm so used to the shortcuts in Photoshop that getting used to the shortcuts in GIMP is slowing me down a ton. Plus, I somehow lost my mouse and am doing it all with my tablet (I find using a mouse with the pen tool is a lot easier and more precise) so that isn't helping much either.

Then, in the more distant future, I am going to re-map this whole thing with each individual building so players can get a close up view on any part of the city they need (after either doing the recon themselves or getting a map from someone else, obviously).

Please give any CnC you have. Good, bad, or ugly. This is my first map and I want it done right.

Name:	3rd.jpg 
Views:	814 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	42079
    Last edited by jelie; 02-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.

I really like it so far, and it's great to watch your process. Nothing I can say of any value at this point. Not sure if it will be any help, but have a look at the link in my sig on city creation. It may spark off some ideas.