Thread: Fantasy Transit Map of Austin, Tx

Map Fantasy Transit Map of Austin, Tx

I recently finished this fantasy urban rail map for Austin, Tx.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Austin Metro.JPG 
Views:	9254 
Size:	879.0 KB 
ID:	41858

Nice work, gcolombo. It's very clean; reminds me of just about every metro map I've seen, which is probably the effect you're going for.

On another note, does Austin have an already existing light rail network, or is this more of a proposition?

Thanks. That's certainly the effect I was going for!

Austin has one line of light rail, which is essentially the Red Line on my map, albeit with much fewer stations (only nine in real life, and the termini are Leander and Convention Center, with stations at Plaza Saltillo, MLK Jr. Blvd, Highland, Crestview, Kramer, Howard, and Lakeline). It's certainly a light commuter rail line--it doesn't really go many places, and it's mostly for commuters who work downtown. There is talk of expansion east to Manor and south to Bergstrom airport, however Capital Metro, for now at least, is quite wary of building new lines from scratch. They're trying just to use existing freight rail lines (which is what they did for the existing Red Line). Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be any major expansions or construction of a large urban rail network for quite a while. So, I'm fantasizing about what would be awesome to have in Austin.

Hopefully that gives you some insight into what's going on here.

Thanks! That's certainly the look I was going for.

To answer your question, Austin has one line of light rail. It's essentially my Red Line on this map, although I added quite a few more stations. The termini in real life are Leander and Convention Center, with stations at Plaza Saltillo, MLK Jr. Blvd, Highland, Crestview, Kramer, Howard, and Lakeline. It's certainly light rail--it doesn't really go anywhere and it's mostly used by commuters who work downtown. There is talk of expansion, however as of now Capital Metro (the transit organization) only wants to use existing freight rail track, as they did for the Red Line. Possible routes, then, include an extension east to Manor (roughly following the eastern offshoot of my Green Line) and south to the Bergstrom Airport (roughly following the southern offshoot of my Blue Line). Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Austin will be getting any major urban rail network in the next few decades, at least. So I'm purely fantasizing about what would be great to have here.

I hope that gives you something of a picture of the situation here. Hope I haven't rambled on too long...