Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions

@Joe. No, not at all. Personally I have absolutely no gripes with FT's output; never have. I was always under the impression that (like Wilbur) there are a ton of things that one can do with it, both in terms of terrain and maps; you just have to dig around.
    I think the main reason people immediately recognise FT output is simply due to the fact that FT is THE only global terrain app- how many do you know...?

monks
    Last edited by monks; 04-04-2008 at 05:00 PM.

I just bought a pen-tablet CC3 and FTPro because I was so inspired by the gang here.... I've been following some of your tutorials.

I just d/l-ed FT Pro yesterday and I can't find Tools>>Actions>>Incise Flow or Map>>Show Other Shader>>Show Image Climate. And there is nothing besides "bump map" and "normal map" shaders available. Oh yeah and that Gaia deally (which looks ok but you can't modify). Do I have the wrong version? I'm super bummed, and guidance would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    FT Pro (version 2.x) is much, much better in the richness of its editing tools than the original version 1.x. I would recommend upgrading if you can because many of the tools in FT Pro have no equivalent in FT1 (rivers, basin fills, incise flow, pre-scale offset editing, remap altitudes, and so on).

As far as starting a world, it is much easier to start with a world that's not flat than it is to start with a flat world and go from there. Pre-scale offset editing in FT Pro makes life much simpler when painting because it works with the continental shelf and scaling rather than fighting them. It wasn't a clean implementation and the number are a little fiddly, but it's not too awful once you get used to it.

This is the old prototype GIF example of the concepts involved: http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Tutorial1.gif

The actual steps I used in the example for this thread were somewhat different than shown in the GIF and I'll see about getting them written up.

The registration page at ProFantasy should have an update with the features of interest here. One more reason to register your software.

Yup. I'm a tard. I found it, downloaded the updates and looks like things are a workin.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The registration page at ProFantasy should have an update with the features of interest here. One more reason to register your software.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123