Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January/February 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Jester's Staff Compass Rose by Jaxilon

Default January/February 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Jester's Staff Compass Rose by Jaxilon

I brainstormed for a while trying to figure out what to base this Rose on and I thought a Jester's Staff would be pretty cool. I figured it would work for a castle map or something along those lines.

I then sketched one up on paper, scanned it in and began the journey to bring it to life. I have not really done any vector art before so my intention is to create it as I usually do in Gimp and then use the trace function in Inkscape. Not sure if that does what I think it does but we will see. Even if it doesn't work like that I can always just use my end product from Gimp.

I start with a rough sketch, scan it, touch up and paint. I figured I would attempt a blow by blow account of how I did this in case anyone can learn from it or anyone sees a way I can save myself a step or two. I hope I don't bore anyone.

Step 1 - (scanned image - This is scaled down because, due to pixels I guess, it always comes out huge when scanned at 300dpi and for posting purposes I didn't think that was necessary.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step1.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	41910

Step 2 - I then desaturate and duplicate the layer a few times until it is the right darkness to work with. Merge the layers and then clean them up a bit (get rid of stray marks using erase or layer masks).

Name:	Step2.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	41911

Step 3 - I add textures and color on separate layers of course. In fact the image at this point consists of 8 layers give or take.

Name:	Step3.jpg 
Views:	1291 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	41912

Step 4 - It needs more and I wanted to include a nod to the Harlequin Motley often worn by Jesters so I created a background pattern. I also put a drop shadow for the Jester's Staff to give it more depth. Oh yeah, this needs to be a png for the transparency.

Name:	Step4.png 
Views:	1372 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	41914

Step 5 - Let's try using Inkscape to see if I can figure out how to vectorize this baby. (Well, after the trace which seems pretty straight forward, I have lost the transparent background.) I'll have to see if I can figure that out but here is the full blown deal out of Inkscape.

Name:	JesterRoseVec.png 
Views:	2824 
Size:	535.8 KB 
ID:	41916

This last image is the full size that I am working in but as you can see taking it into Inkscape I lost the transparent background. I'll have to figure out how to fix that.
    I am also thinking about creating a borderline around the diamond pattern.
    All in all, I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out, it's pretty close to what I imagined. I may play with the colors a bit more but that's just the little stuff.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 02-05-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well crafted, but there is something creepy about that image.
    ... anything that evokes emotion can't be bad.
    Last edited by atpollard; 02-05-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Hehe, well, Jesters were a little creepy if you ask me. I had thought about putting fangs on it but then I was afraid I might have nightmares

I think I figured out how to do the transparency now. "Export bitmap".

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	849 
Size:	624.1 KB 
ID:	41918
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 02-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Cool image, well done.

I was thinking about placing some more points on this but I'm not sure if it's better or not. Open to suggestions/thoughts.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	217 
Size:	618.9 KB 
ID:	41969

I think "better".

Changed the colors to something a little softer.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	1001 
Size:	610.8 KB 
ID:	42001

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected razcor's Avatar

Wow, I definitely love it, scary and funny at the same time.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

lovely work Jax
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wow, this is pretty creepy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast