Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orothos: The City of the Herons, the City on Stilts

Quote Originally Posted by Sular View Post
    other than my distaste for grids
    That's what everyone thinks, until they need to furnish a room ... then you see why rooms are rectangular and cities have grids.

Having just had new furniture delivered today, I can follow that. Still, I always get lost in gridded cities faster in non-gridded, especially when the road signs are obscured by trees.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Gridded cities are super hard. Half of my native town is gridded, and I still get lost there every once and a while.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

I've been somewhat busy this week so I'm not as far along as I would like. Nonetheless, I have made progress with the map, added a simple border, and so on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orothosfulldraft2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	42371  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

It is coming along very nicely.

How far is the mainland? and in what direction? Maybe an arrow on the legend to show?

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

The closest body of land is a marshy island infested by large crabs, numerous rice farms, mudflats, diverse turtles, and a few small towns and other settlements. There are other islands about as well (most similarly populated by fractious creatures with shells). The mainland itself is largely to the west. I'll play around with arrows and the like and see what would make sense and not be too distracting at the same time.

I've done some more work on the city, finished most of the major canals, filled in all the districts, adjusted the borders, and added a smallish fort. I still have a long way to go, but it's good to be making some progress.

I'm going to have to spend a heck of a long time inventing names for things, so if anyone has a good method for generating lots of names short of staring at an empty document, making myself vast amounts of tea (and slash or pouring myself a moderate glass of wine), and going at it like gangbusters, I'd be delighted to know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orothos3draft2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	42460  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Names are most often not chosen out of random letters as they might seem in fantasy texts; most are either a description of the place in some language or another, or after a prominent event in its history. I suggest naming streets things that might lead to historical significance. if you name a street "Street of the Ocean", maybe it was once flooded under a foot of water. Maybe the infamous Street of Chickens is the place where a young prince was attacked by chickens and traumatized, and throughout his childhood refused to call it by any other name, and it stuck. Man, I'm having fun doing this.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123