Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dark Meeting....

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip The Promise of Fire

Calan Stonebridge was shoved towards the large dock. He was chained to a large man in front of him and a tall woman behind him. His captors stood on the dock wearing looks of annoyance. "Is this the best you could do? A farmer a boy and a woman? The master will not be pleased" The man who had shoved Calan snorted. Gesturing towards the large man he said "This one is strong as an ox. Killed 2 men in the pit last night barely raised a breath. The woman well you know what they fetch in the right place." He gestured toward Calan. "This little one was in the wrong place at the wrong time sneaking around the Axe and Stump. He won't bring much but better that then the wrong eyes" The men on the dock didn't look any less unhappy but both nodded their agreement. Calan had used the exchange to study their destination. Moored against the dock sat a large boat. She sported two masts and bobbed in the water like a horse eager for the gallop. Calan had seen ships before on the docks of Riverhewn but he had never been on one. He knew that ships of this size sometimes navigated the Fler River due to it's wide calm waters. He couldn't help but feel at bit of excitement until he caught a glimpse of the ships name engraved on a plaque and painted blood red. "The Promise of Fire" Calan was harshly reminded he was about to be sold into slavery.....

The adventure continues. This is an idea I've had for quite a while and decided to get on with it. I've never done a ship of this style before so I thought it would make an interesting project. As you can see I've started with the basic hull shape and the deck rails and planks. I've added the masts as well. The water is just a placeholder for now. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Promise of Fire.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	49595
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Menna shuffled towards the docks flanked by her two sons. They were large men possessing an excess of muscle and a minimum of brain. They carried their father's size and their mother's ruthlessness. Menna had led the smuggling and slaving operation her husband had started since his death at the hands of the Riverhewn watch. She hated and blamed both the watch and the king. Her "job" at the Stabbed Soldier tavern was merely a front. A way to keep suspicions off of her. It had worked too for many years. She rarely traveled out of Riverhewn anymore but this trip was special. It was the largest shipment of weapons to come from the North yet. She would make a fortune selling these to the criminal element of Riverhewn. The slave trade was far more risky and often less rewarding. Slavery was illegal in most kingdoms of the Flanaess. This of course didn't stop those so inclined to participate in it. There were still lands where slaves brought a tidy profit. She stopped at the foot of the dock to look at the ship moored there. She was first hesitant to use the "Promise of Fire" as she was a big ship made to run the coast of Lake Quag. Menna had been afraid that a ship of her size would attract attention along the river but because of the low currents and deep water, more and more large boats were navigating the river and she drew no unwanted eyes. Menna scowled as she corrected herself. "One set of unwanted eyes" she muttered to herself. The Stonebridge boy had followed her sons to the Northern town of Lodge. The captain of the "Promise" had caught him sneaking around the Axe and Stump Tavern, Menna's Northern base of operations. She knew that the boys mother was beside herself with worry for her son and was mildly concerned that she might somehow find out where he was. She knew that to be unlikely. Children went missing all the time and were rarely found. She would make sure that Calan Stonebridge was never found......

I worked some on this today while taking a break from working on a commission. I'm really focusing on making as many of my own elements for this as I can. Everything was created by me except the crates which are from Greytales Nook. I realize that a boat moored at a dock wouldn't have her sails up but I wanted to try and create a sail. I'll probably change it to show her with her sails furled. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Views:	108 
Size:	511.6 KB 
ID:	49614
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Coming together JT. Some of those lines are very sharp - consider running a very slight gaussian blur (1-2pix) on your drawn rope lines and on the crow's nest.

Blog Entries

Wip

Calan Stonebridge was so shocked to see Menna standing on the docks that he stopped walking causing the woman behind him to crash into him. He had known Menna was somehow involved with all of this but until now he didn't grasp the full situation. He remembered back to his life at the Stabbed Soldier. He had always disliked Menna she was loud and often mean. To find out she was some kind of criminal mastermind shouldn't have come as a shock to Calan. Menna gestured for the guards to stop and she approached Calan. "Well boy you ain't at the Soldier no more. No momma to protect you now." Calan grimaced at the old woman. " Don't think you'll get away with this you hag" His words were cut off by a slap from Menna. "Get away with it?" she almost shrieked moving in closer so that Calan could smell her fetid breath. "I always get away with it you little fool. No one cares about run away little boys. They go missing every day it is just the way of things. Oh to be sure your momma will miss you and drop her tears in the kitchens of that stinking hole but soon she will forget she will go on as they all do. Who knows she is still young and fair of face she might meet someone and make a little replacement for you" Calan lunged at the old woman only to be brought up short by the unmoving bulk of the large man he was chained to. Menna laughed "See, little fool. Even the giant accepts his fate. You should too. Soon you will be gone from this kingdom and from it's memory" With that she turned and moved down the dock. Calan Stonebridge watched her walk away with hatred burning in his eyes. He vowed that he would kill the evil old woman and destroy all she ever stood for no matter how long it might take....."

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Coming together JT. Some of those lines are very sharp - consider running a very slight gaussian blur (1-2pix) on your drawn rope lines and on the crow's nest.
    Thanks. And thanks for the tip I was looking at those ropes trying to figure out how to make them look more like rope. That did the trick.

I think I might be just about done with this now. I added a dock and some texture for the water. I will be doing the below deck layout next. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Views:	100 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	49629

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Merlan Seascar stood on the deck of his ship and watched as the cargo was loaded. He was very proud of the "Promise of Fire" and had every right to be. She was a large coastal freighter designed to haul cargo along the coast of Lake Quag. She spent most of her time ferrying cargo from the docks of Riverhewn to Perrenland on the south coast of the giant lake. Her mundane purpose kept Seascar comfortable but her other duties made him rich. He had no moral compunction against hauling illegal cargo as long as it could be secured and hidden and was not overly dangerous. He loved two things in the world: Money and his ship. He would not let either come to harm. The cargo for this trip was worth the slightly difficult passage North on the Fler river. The currents were low and the water deep but there were still places along the river where he had been forced to pay a team of men and horses to tow the "Promise" until the wind came up and the current subsided. He was a man enamored of luxury and the little village of Lodge held nothing of the sort. The one tavern and inn were desperately plain and depressingly functional. He was very glad that his small cabin on the "Promise" was outfitted to his decadent tastes. This cargo would make him rich yet again even the sight of the slaves didn't bother him overmuch. He had carried slaves before and the profit was always worth the risk. He had built a small hold under the stern of the ship to conceal them during transport. It was not comfortable but then it didn't need to be. Only security and concealment mattered. He watched as the stevedores loaded the "legitimate" cargo and lashed it to the deck. He had ordered that the "other" cargo be mixed with the legal so that it looked as if he was merely carrying a very large load that wouldn't all fit in the "Promise's" holds. He was eager to be off. The wind was coming up and the currents would be as well. If he was lucky he would reach Riverhewn early the next day. He was already fantasizing about how he would spend his new fortune.....

Spent a little time on this this morning while working on a commission. I envision this ship to be just over 100' long and 40' wide across the rails. There will be three decks (one of which will be only a half deck for slaves) I did a little research and every vessel that I saw had more than one mast. It makes sense. The more sail the more speed. Even though this is a "coaster" and occasional river sloop I would think her owner would want her to be fast. So I added another mast and the rigging to go with it. I also worked on some shadowing and added "cargo nets" that I created to the crates on deck. A new gangplank was added as the stevedores would need some way to load the ship. I think she is nearly done unless I think of any other details to add. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Views:	110 
Size:	1,012.6 KB 
ID:	49640

Finished Maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected

If its over 100' feet long you may want to lengthen it some.. Seeing it is about twice as wide..

I think that a length of three times the width is more typical.
    At any event, tacking requires more space between the masts - say one about 25 feet back from the front, then a 50 foot gap and the second mast about 25 feet from the rear.

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by ruff View Post
    If its over 100' feet long you may want to lengthen it some.. Seeing it is about twice as wide..
    There goes my "scaleitis" again.... Your right of course she's far too "fat"

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    I think that a length of three times the width is more typical.
    At any event, tacking requires more space between the masts - say one about 25 feet back from the front, then a 50 foot gap and the second mast about 25 feet from the rear.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I realized that I really know NOTHING about ships. I looked up some quick information on the internet and off I went. As you posted there isn't enough room between the masts to make them usable and she's far too wide for her length (although the river ships that I have found tend to be fairly wide proportional to their length) Seeing as how I'm calling this a "coaster" It makes sense that she'd be a bit narrower. I really appreciate the feedback.

Here is the new "Promise of Fire" a bit narrower and with more room for her masts. As always feedback is requested and appreciated

Name:	The Promise of Fire 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	482.7 KB 
ID:	49643

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Here is the new "thinner" and longer "Promise of Fire" smuggling ship. Following the great feedback I received on the original post I decided to re-do her to more scale proportions. She is now 120 feet long and 30 feet wide. I forgot to add my "cargo nets" but I'll do that for the final update. I had a lot of fun with this one as I stretched myself to make most of the elements myself. As always feedback is requested and appreciated

Name:	The Promise of Fire 2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	49666

Finished Maps

It looks great!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast