Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [WIP] Aetherworld Map: Water flows up mountains too, right? Help with Rivers.

Hello again. I finally found some spare time this weekend to work on correcting my errant rivers. If you all could look this over and see if I've broken any "river rules" I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any advice that you are able to render. Let me know if you need further information. Please keep in mind that this map was originally designed to be 36" x 24" at 300dpi, so a fair amount of detail has been lost.

Name:  Aetherwurld ver 3.5 (Thumbnail).jpg
Views: 138
Size:  83.7 KB

Aetherworld Map, Corrected Rivers

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

There is one half-problem; Down near Grasdum the river goes through mountains, and while not impossible, I dont think one example exists on earth. Your call.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Actually, a quick look at rivers in Australia made me wonder where the river police were when Australia was made.
    It was just one map, so it could be the cartographer's choice of what to edit out and what to keep, but it was a real What-The-Heck moment.

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    Actually, a quick look at rivers in Australia made me wonder where the river police were when Australia was made.
    It was just one map, so it could be the cartographer's choice of what to edit out and what to keep, but it was a real What-The-Heck moment.
    Land of convicts. They stay as far away as possible from any kind of police, just from habit.

-or-

Australia is where they sent rivers that had been caught and prosecuted by the River Police.

And now I can never visit Australia again...
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

About that one region of the map. When I was drawing those mountains in I basically saw the crevice where the river ran through as a deep gorge or valley that dropped the elevation down significantly from the surrounding terrain resulting in the river's ability to "pass" through the range. So basically a deep valley that maintained a continued drop in elevation resulting in the river's continued flow down that path, along that range, and on into the sea. I don't believe that would technically break any rules. Let me know if you all think otherwise or if you catch anything else. I'm putting the finishing touches on my Rhumb lines now, and if I don't get pulled over by any of the river cops, I'd say this map is pretty close to done.

IMO, a river through the mountains is uncommon but not a violation.

Here's the "final" version with the Rhumb Lines and Compass Rose I made. Let me know what you think. If there are not further suggestions or river violations I think that I am prepared to call this one done.

Final Aether World Map Version

Also, if you so desire I've attached a blown up portion of the North West section of my map so that you can get a better feel for some of the detail that is lost in the full version. Let me know what you think.

NW Section of the Map

Looking good, man! A leap forward. One minor comment is to adjust the kerning on the initial capitals in all the map labels - that font is particularly bad about leaving long gaps between capitals and the rest of the words...

Quote Originally Posted by West2 View Post
    Looking good, man! A leap forward. One minor comment is to adjust the kerning on the initial capitals in all the map labels - that font is particularly bad about leaving long gaps between capitals and the rest of the words...
    Good catch Mark. I don't think I would have noticed that, but now that you mention it that kerning is jumping out at me. I guess that's why we post a WIP thread, to have a second, third, and so on pair of eyes to look at a map and catch the stuff we may have missed due to our own "map eye fatigue."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234