Thread: LF River Police approval for WIP

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Question LF River Police approval for WIP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAMPLE03 WIP.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	42041After multiple attempts at a few different maps/styles, I've finally found the mountain set up I like best. With that, now I need some of you snazzy river police to check the rivers to make sure they make sense. Rivers are my bane.

Thanks!
    Last edited by alanrex; 02-07-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

The only problems I see with waterways is there are three lakes that have no outflow. Each of them is fairly close to the coast as well.

I do like the feel for this map, the mountains are nicely done.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

As pointed out, Lake Harmony has a large inflow river with no obvious outflow, in addition to Green, Mirror, and Gelenor, which have neither inflow or outflow (which could be reasonable if they are just catch basins for precipitation).

Also, the delta at the end of the Deadwater River seems "backwards" in that delta are caused by the deposition of sediment at the mouth of a river, and tend to grow out into the water body, not be cut back in as channels as shown.

Lovely map though, nice colours and a good coastline.

-Rob A>

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

thanks for the prompt feedback, anstett and RobA. again i find more invaluable information i had not ever thought about. the three smaller lakes are indeed simply catch basins (i read the river police post before working on this one). however, i did forget about the lake outflow of harmony. also, i had no idea about the delta growing "outward." but again, it does indeed make sense thanks to the sediment slowing up the flow. thanks a lot guys

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    As pointed out, Lake Harmony has a large inflow river with no obvious outflow, in addition to Green, Mirror, and Gelenor, which have neither inflow or outflow (which could be reasonable if they are just catch basins for precipitation).

Also, the delta at the end of the Deadwater River seems "backwards" in that delta are caused by the deposition of sediment at the mouth of a river, and tend to grow out into the water body, not be cut back in as channels as shown.

Lovely map though, nice colours and a good coastline.

-Rob A>
    If the river's valley continues right into the sea, you can get inset deltas like that. I live near the Cowichan River's delta which is far more inset than that and there are several other examples nearby. This is a result of recent mountain building and glaciation producing lots of valleys. A sea level rise can push rivers back up into their own valleys though, the Thames and St. Lawrence are current examples (occurring at the end of the last ice age), though they haven't built deltas since then.