Thread: Another One Bites The Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Default Another One Bites The Map

Hi there,

I already registered some time ago to look at some tutorial in the forum (at least i think thant was the reason), but was remembered just today by a email bout a server change or something. I didn't read it too closely and just decided to visit again - and probably try to do some maps again when there's time.

I already made three maps (well.. lets say two finished maps, one nearly finished one and some sketches) for a RPG of a friend of mine, I'm still plannig to finish the third one and work on the sketches a bit more when theres less to do for university - which shouldn't be the case for the next, say, three to four months.

Im studying geography in Bayreuth, a nice small town in northern Franconia (no, that's DEFINITELY NOT in Bavaria. At least we like to think so. )
    My last maps also were for my studies, to be specifically, they have been homeworks for cartography and GIS classes (mostly just graphical display of given data of a area, only one was a bit more challenging (finding a suitable area for a waste deposit and making a presentable (not sure if i'm using the right work here...) map out of that).

Normally i draw my maps with fineliner pens, althought i tried a bit with coloured pencils (worked quite good) and watercolour pens (aquarell pens? anyway, that one looked horrible). For university I do my maps with ArcGIS as far as possible, (not the best program for that, but it saves a whole lot of time) or with CorelDraw (which i learned to hate with every single cell...).

If someone is interested in seeing my maps, i can easly upload them as well (save for the unfinished ones, those aren't scanned in yet).

Any questions left?

Ha det så bra,
    Johannes

Welcome to the Guild. Please do upload your maps, we like seeing everyone's maps here! We have a few GIS users here, but most of us use drawing software (like Gimp, photoshop and corel draw which you hate so much!)

Guild Apprentice

Hi!
    Not only me, nearly everyone who was in our cartography class twitches when anyone mentiones Corel... At least for making maps out of a basic map which is given as .jpg. The first homework took me six hours with Corel (even though we had a step-by-step explanation and didn't have to try around). The second one i did with ArcGIS in not more than half an hour.

I'll post them later today then, got some work to do first.