Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Tamaria (Worktitle)

Wip [WIP] Tamaria (Worktitle)

I decided to drop my last WIP as I grew more and more discontent with it. Also I had a lot of other stuff to do at that time. I restarted the whole project and created the following map-concept.

This time I decided to draw landmasses first and then tectonic plates. In my last project I did it the other way around and tried to draw the landmasses according to the tectnonic plates ... which in the end lead to several landmass concepts that I weren't really happy with.

This time I started with the landmasses and added the tectonic plates after that so they will help me to locate meaningful mountain ranges and stuff in the future.

For the coastlines I used many segments of real earth maps that totally rearranged.

Last edited by wally-d-feed; 02-08-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Your landmasses look fantastic! As I dont understand about tectonic plates I will leave this part for others.

While I am in no way a geologist(and know very little except the odd things my brain chooses to retain from news/tv shows), you would also want to indicate direction for the plates. Two plates moving apart is typically bad news for the local residency, especially if the area is close to the ocean and close to sea level(say for example... California) I would expect that to form a trough in water and sinkholes(or chasms) on land. Two plates that are "grating" against each other in opposite directions I would expect could form cliffs of some sort. And of course, a plate that buckles under another plate will create mountains..

If you are not opposed to adding to the map, you could use a bi-directional plate intersection to create a nice chain of archipelagos(bottom left looks like a great place to me to put a ton of islands, but of course this is your map....).

EDIT: oh yeah... I agree with Mateus, the land forms look really nice. Very well done.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You're absolutely right about the plate movement. That will come in the next step. As I have drawn the landmasses first and then the plates the movement is already predefined in some places (the green plate for example has to move away from the violet plate above) so that the coastlines actually make sense... but I still have to figure that out for all the plates. And yes ... after I've done that I can start to figure out where mountain ranges are to be placed and where for example underwater ridges might form Islands etc. In some cases I will also have to make some changes to the coastlines.

Very interesting continent shapes. I dig it. Looking forward to the progress of this WIP.
    Ich erinnere mich an deine Kargath Karte und die war episch...
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Ich erinnere mich an deine Kargath Karte und die war episch...
    Vielen Dank für die Blumen (= thanks for the compliment)

Guild Novice

I see London I see France...just kidding, but I do see China, Alaska, Greenland, Madagascar & the bottom tip of South America! I'm taking a similar approach with a map I'm working on, building continents by sampling real-world coastlines. I like the overall look of your continents and I can't comment on the tectonic plates as I'm still learning about them myself, but one thing you may want to consider is the "puzzle-piece" effect you get when a supercontinent breaks up - in Earth's case, one can clearly see how South America and Africa could fit together. Making it look like your continents drifted apart from a supercontinent (which is a common scenario on Earth) can add a lot of realism to your worldmap.
    Last edited by LowerSpatialDimension; 02-12-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If we're playing Spot the Source, I see Hudson's Bay and Australia too

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I see South Africa!

Quote Originally Posted by LowerSpatialDimension View Post
    I see London I see France...just kidding, but I do see China, Alaska, Greenland, Madagascar & the bottom tip of South America! I'm taking a similar approach with a map I'm working on, building continents by sampling real-world coastlines. I like the overall look of your continents and I can't comment on the tectonic plates as I'm still learning about them myself, but one thing you may want to consider is the "puzzle-piece" effect you get when a supercontinent breaks up - in Earth's case, one can clearly see how South America and Africa could fit together. Making it look like your continents drifted apart from a supercontinent (which is a common scenario on Earth) can add a lot of realism to your worldmap.
    I thought about that AFTER I finished the coastlines ... you're right that would enhance realism. What I was just thinking about was that my map could be near the end of one supercontinent-splitupcontinents-cycle ... so that the continents of my map are not the pieces of a supercontinent drifting apart but instead towards each other. deal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast