Thread: Nialls Maps

Guild Apprentice

Default Nialls Maps

Hi there, hope this is the right area here.

These three maps are from cartography class. Unfortunately i seem to do not have them on my PC anymore, so i scanned them in, hence the annotations of our prof and the sometimes poor quality. There also is a second, corrected map of southern Africa in which Lesotho's pie chart isn't missing. Sorry for that...
    They are all done with Corel Photopaint, MS Excel and Corel Draw. Basic map coloured with Photopaint, charts and diagrams made with excel, then put all together in Draw. Lot of unnecessary work, should have done all of them from the beginnig with ArcGIS...
    I added english translations (in green) for those who can't read german.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Afrika1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	42086 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Afrika2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	42087 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Afrika3.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	42088

This one is the final project for the cartography class, this time done properly with GIS. Not half so annoying and time consuming, even though i had to reshape the polygons cause we didn't have the right set of maps on the university-PC.

Name:	UK.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	42096

These three have been the homeworks for GIS classes:
    The last one is the final project, was a bit more challenging cause we just had a geological map, a gradient map and a map with the current "use" (streets, lakes, viallges... ?) and had to find all areas meeting certain requirements like a aquiclude underground, minimum size or distance to water bodies.

Name:	GIS1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	42089 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GIS2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	42090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GIS3.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	42092

The last ones are for a RPG of a friend of mine. I drew them by hand, first two with a fineliner pen, last one with coloured pencils. The last one isn't really finished, i'll get that done in a few weeks, when the semester is finished and work leaves some time.
    The first one is a general overview over the islands with the most important coastal cities and trade routes.

Name:	Inselkönigreiche.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	42093

The second one is a closer look at the northeastern isle in a "political" way. In the center there are the spheres of influence of the orcish tribes, at the coast, there are the human populated (if populated at all...) areas.

Name:	Inselkönigreiche2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	42094

The last one is a take on the western isle in a topographical way. As i said, it's not yet finished, there are still some cities and roads missing, als well as the labels.

Name:	Inselkönigreiche3.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	42095

Any comments on my mapping attempts so far? I'd like to hear them.

I like the hand drawn ones the best. But that's only because I'm partial to them. It's cool that you took a cartography class. Wish they offered one where I live.

Guild Apprentice

I'm studying geography, i had no choice but to do so.
    I even had two of them, but the first one was just interpretations and sketches of existing maps.

Is it a coincidence that the orkish island is called Stiknig? It keeps converting to "Stinkig" in my mind

Nice maps!

Guild Apprentice

Thanks!

Dunno, i only got a excel-sheet with the rough coastlines and the names and made my maps out of that. But i'll ask.

Someone drew coastlines in excel?!? That reminds me of a boss I had who did drawings in excel ...

Guild Apprentice

Jep. I've searched and found the ecxel-version of Stiknig somewhere in the depths of my PC.

With my drawing for comparison:

Name:	Karte_Stiknig_Exel.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	42128 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inselkönigreiche2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	42127

Guild Apprentice

I'm writing my part for our report about our field trip to scandinavia at the moment, and made a little map about our route through eastern Copenhagen (dots is by foot, dashes is by bike).
    I scanned in the cycling map of Copenhagen (in two parts), joined it together and... learned to hate my f-ing mouse. It took about thrice the time it could have taken if that bastard would have worked correctly. Double clicking or losing the grip where not intended, not clicking at all... Grr.
    Somewhen i just grabbed my old one (really old, still with that ball thing under it) and started to work properly.
    After that, the only problem was, that the canals and sea where indistinguishable from the roads whenever i converted it into greyscale. So i had to trace every single canal by hand and give it a new outline so it wouldn't look like crap when grey.
    Enough of the talk, thats it, the outcome of two hours of rage and one hour of work:

Name:	Karte.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	49050

(Now i have yet to write the report itself... and nothing left to justify some more procrastination.)
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Guild Member Facebook Connected BISHDP's Avatar

These are really cool. I second the wish for a cartography class at my school. Keep up the good work.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks!

For the cartography classes: Try to search for a university near you with a geographical faculty, maybe you can sneak in. At least at my uni that wouldn't be a problem since lectures are free for anyone interested. Ok, that wouldn't include GIS classes, but the normal cartography classes would be fine.
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."