Thread: Hello from Sweden!

Guild Novice

Default Hello from Sweden!

Hi from Sweden. And yes, the mountains, lakes, coasts, and forests here do sometimes seem like a Nordic fantasy land that would inspire any fantasy map maker.

I'm an Irish writer and I currently live at the edge of one of these dark forests. I get much of my inspiration from wandering through it, especially at dusk. I write short stories and I am currently finishing off a novel. I am also the author of the Parawerthan blog, a serial fantasy diary documenting the adventures of my alter ego Raymond as he journeys through an alternative dimension called The Parawerthan.

Now I’m planning to add some more colour to my blog. That’s why I’m here. I’m hoping to pick up some tips and ideas on how to create a good map that my blog readers can easily reference.

Cheers

Fox Mc Geever

What a great description of where you live.. sounds awesome. I doubt I can remember all of the fantasy stories I've read in which one of the characters lives at the edge of a forest.. but you actually do..lol.

I tried to check out your website and blog, but kept timing out. Maybe it's just my connection.. I'll try again later.

I'm not sure from your post whether you're just looking for tips and ideas on what makes a good map, or if you're actually wanting to try and make a map yourself. I believe you'd be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't at least attempt one though. The best suggestion I could offer is to head over to the tutorial section of the forum, pick out a map that is appealing to you, then dive in and try it. If (or in my case, when) you get stuck, just post what you're having trouble with and you'll find folks here are pretty good about helping.

Welcome to the Guild,
    -Lailokken
    A man shows who he is, by what he does, with what he has.