Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: xkcd - cartography comic

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default xkcd - cartography comic

    I was going through old xkcd comics and ran across this. Figured if anyone could appreciate it it would be this community.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_projections.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	42100

  2. #2
    Guild Expert Gracious Donor Hai-Etlik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    48° 28′ N 123° 8′ W
    Posts
    1,146
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jelie View Post
    I was going through old xkcd comics and ran across this. Figured if anyone could appreciate it it would be this community.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_projections.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	42100
    Yeah, I think this is the third time that comic has come up. It's still funny, though.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Yeah, I think this is the third time that comic has come up. It's still funny, though.
    Dang. I had a feeling, but I figured it was worth a shot.

  4. #4
    Guild Member ScotlandTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I hadn't seen this before, so I thank you for posting this, jelle. After the intense and unexpected education i received on map projections last week I especially appreciate this. Gave me a good chuckle.

  5. #5
    Community Leader Gracious Donor Lukc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lausanne, CH
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Another evil one that's also relevant for mapp ing:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kerning.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	42145

  6. #6
    Guild Expert Gracious Donor Hai-Etlik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    48° 28′ N 123° 8′ W
    Posts
    1,146
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Now someone needs to make a map in Gall-Peters, label it in intentionally badly kerned Papyrus and Comic Sans, and send it to Randall.

    I don't think I could bring myself to make such a travesty though.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Now someone needs to make a map in Gall-Peters, label it in intentionally badly kerned Papyrus and Comic Sans, and send it to Randall.

    I don't think I could bring myself to make such a travesty though.
    If I had the technical skill or time and wasn't 100% new to cartography I'd give it a shot.

  8. #8
    Community Leader Gracious Donor Lukc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lausanne, CH
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    How can you kern Comic Sans badly?!? That's ... that's ... that's impossible!!??!

  9. #9
    Community Leader Gracious Donor Lukc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lausanne, CH
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    This is actually a tempting idea ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •