Thread: Seeking regional fantasy map for an ebook

Default Seeking regional fantasy map for an ebook

Hello to everyone,

I am currently planning on self-publishing a story set in an original fantasy/steampunk world. Please note, this is an independent effort on my part and not part of a large-scale publishing effort. The ebook itself will be offered initially for free (though this may change in the future). I am offering $150 which would be paid via Paypal at the end of the job. This post is written from the perspective that you'll be using Campaign Cartographer 3, but you can use any program you like.

What is the job?

I would provide you a scanned copy of a very ugly, hand-drawn map. Your job is to translate it into something that doesn't look like it was done by a dyslexic 3rd grader. You would have a great deal of artistic license in translating the map. I would need two versions of the map, one in color and one in black and white.

Style

The map itself encompasses essentially what is the western coast of a continent and will comprise approximately 5 countries, so it is not huge in scope (IE: This will be a regional map).

I am really looking for something like Jonathan Robert's style that was released in the CC3 annual (you can see it here http://sub.profantasy.com/2011/march11.html ).

Map would be approx 1000x800 pixels. I am looking for professional quality (same as shown in the above link).

This would be for an electronic format only (I do not need a print map).

Copyright

I would retain the copyright of the map to use as I see fit. Artist may retain the right to present the map in their portfolio, but not for use in any commercial gain.

Deadline

Three weeks from date of acceptance by the artist. Preferably sooner if it could be managed.

Payment
    Payment will be made to the artist via Paypal upon approval of the final work. I can provide a $50 deposit at the start of the work if necessary.

Contact

Best way to contact me if you're interested is at my email. It's the same as my username, just add 0193 to the end of it at gmail.com. If you have examples of your previous work, please link it or attach to your message. You can also post in response here, but I'd prefer email. Thank you!

Well, if your looking for something similar, why not the original, Jon Roberts himself? He goes by the handle "Torstan" in most of the places I know he hangs out. I know he has a large projects in his pipeline, so not sure if he would even be available or not, but if you post a few more times(I believe you need 5 posts), you can PM him directly here. Of course, if he is not available, there are plenty of excellent cartographers here who are!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It sounds like a great project and I would jump at the opportunity myself but I'm already a bit swamped with the limited time I have for mapping and a couple commissions I am committed to.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've actually had contact already from a person who has accepted, so at this time, it appears the job has been taken!