Thread: Need Maps for Publishing a thrilling 15th century book, "The Siege of Shkodra"

Help Need Maps for Publishing a thrilling 15th century book, "The Siege of Shkodra"

Project Scope:
    I have translated a book called The Siege of Shkodra into English. It was written in Latin in 1504 and describes a 15th-century Ottoman siege of the Venetian and Albanian city of Shkodra. The work is one of the few eyewitness accounts of a medieval siege ever written. Fascinating drama! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Shkodra and http://www.facebook.com/siegeofshkodra for more information on this project.

Setting:
    The region of Shkodra, Albania in 1478. Shkodra and its famous castle are both easily viewable on Google maps/Earth (see link). I possess and can send you photos of ancient maps from the 1500s and 1600s to give you an idea of how things were being portrayed.

Design Concept:
    I want the maps to be both realistic and creative. The idea is to create maps that will look like late-15th century maps, yet be accurate enough to orient today's students of history. Keep in mind that the book is serious classic of literature and a seminal source of history, so I don't want a science-fiction or treasure map feel at all. I would love for people viewing the maps to assume they are real maps, discovered from that time period (though the source will be cited). The geography should be realistic, but not necessarily 100% precise (none of the 15th century maps were).

Number of maps: three.
    1) A regional map showing the Adriatic Sea, the Shkodra Lake, several rivers and mountain ranges, etc., along with a few pieces of artwork such as Venetian ships, castles, and Ottoman soldiers marching in.
    2) A more detailed map focusing on the Shkodra fortress and the Ottoman hordes sprawled around its base. This map would include art like the Turkish tent camps, castles, churches, cannons, etc.
    3) An artist rendering of the castle layout itself from overhead. I possess detailed information and photos so there will be little design work—mostly artwork. For this I envision something like the one linked here: http://theredepic.com/Web%20Images%2...ry%2072dpi.jpg

Technical:
    Full color. Will print in a 6x9 book and will be used on my website promoting the book. I’m not sure what the industry standard is for types of files (jpg, tiff, etc.).

Copyright:
    Remains with cartographer but I retain the right to use and reproduce the maps for my book, website, and other needs related to the book project.

Deadline:
    March 20 / flexible.

Payment:
    $200 payable via Paypal upon delivery of the final files.
    Two print copies of the finished book upon publication.

David Hosaflook
    rrethimi(at)gmail(dot)com
    Please use subject line: Shkodra Map Enqury

Awesome project.

By the way, in case you didn't realize it, the example you have linked under '...theredepic...' is member "theredepic" found on these boards. Just in case you wanted to try sending him a PM. You will need to make a total of 5 posts before you can send a private message but that shouldn't be too tough.

Your request also reaffirms that I have a hole in my portfolio I need to fill.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Default Thanks Jaxilon

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Awesome project.

By the way, in case you didn't realize it, the example you have linked under '...theredepic...' is member "theredepic" found on these boards. Just in case you wanted to try sending him a PM. You will need to make a total of 5 posts before you can send a private message but that shouldn't be too tough.

Your request also reaffirms that I have a hole in my portfolio I need to fill.
    Appreciate this feedback. Much of this is all new to me—I'm just a client needing a map for a project I am financing out of pocket. I'm struggling just to understand how everything works. All the best!