Thread: The Town of Dragonford

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post The Town of Dragonford

It's been a while since I posted any maps over here. In the meantime I have acquired myself a Wacom so I thought I'd start with my first Wacom map. This is the town of one of my groups of players. They slew the dragon (see if you can spot it) and were given the keys to the castle.

The map was drawn in Corel Painter Essentials 3 (I hadn't got the tablet working with Gimp yet but it works now) and labeled in Gimp

With labels:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DragonFord.png 
Views:	703 
Size:	833.7 KB 
ID:	2955

Without labels:

Name:	DragonFordNoLabels.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	2956

I love the map and the style.
    One query though ... wouldn't the body of the dragon undermine the bridge?
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

First of all, great to have you peek back in here, Torstan! I'll excuse it this one time, but no more long absences, ok?

I like the style of this map--very artistically done. That tablet is already showing its worth in your work. My only suggestion would be to lower the brightness 20% or so, to see how a less pastel color scheme would appear; it may not be as nice, but I felt I was squinting the entire time I looked at this due to the whites so playing with it is worth a shot.

Nice map!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks for the comments. I had fun drawing something rather than using textures for once.

Here's a version with modified levels to make it a little easier on the eye.

Name:	DragonFord2.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	2985

As for the dragon under the bridge - well the body has been there for a year or so and much of the decay has happened, leaving a huge skeleton embedded in the river bottom. The bones have held strong against the river's current and the craftsmen have incorporated them into the structure of the bridge.

Also, many thanks to Ravells (I think) who pointed out the Caldaera font which I used here. It's a really lovely font.